I owe Anthony Bourdain so much

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/08/i-owe-anthony-bourdain-so-much.html

45 Likes

29 Likes

Thanks for sharing Seamus.

39 Likes

You bastard! your life has stolen my book plot. For a while toyed with a similar idea, but your life story is even better than whatever i could have come with.

Thank you so so much for sharing your life story. I’ve been dealing with similar stuff (though for me was cycling instead of hiking, not yet out of the woods but a lot better). You writing has made me better understand the cyclical and suddenly wanting to leave and start all over. More importantly, it has help me to understand why Anthony Bourdain’s death have been such a blow and made me so sad. Thank you.

19 Likes

Oh, @SeamusBellamy. This is beautiful. Thank you so much for writing and sharing it.

It sounds like you’re ok… but dude, are you ok?

32 Likes

Wow.

I find myself wishing I could have gotten more out of Anthony Bourdains’ work, he never struck me as having my kind of anger about the world.

But surviving a shitty childhood is something I can definitely relate to. I keep waiting for it to wear off, to grow out of it. And it never seems to happen the way other people talk about it.

Suicide has lost its allure, about 10 years ago I realized I had already survived my worst moments. But yeah, it’s still something I think about, in a kind of far off, “maybe I could climb Mount Everest” kind of way.

When Robin Williams killed himself, nobody wanted to talk about it, it was such an uncharacteristic way for his story to end. But this guy projected a much different kind of persona, I hope his passing leads to more of this kind of talk. It seems important.

19 Likes

Not gonna happen. Too much noise about pinning it on Asia Argento.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing that. It was deeply moving, and I struggle to find the words to do it justice. I’m glad that you found the inspiration to keep going.

7 Likes

Hey Seamus, Acton native here. Thanks for sharing.

5 Likes

well done - thnx

5 Likes

You’re correct that there is that. But who can show people that that is sufficient? It can be.

3 Likes

He was a realist and at the same time, an idealist.

Good and well written observation[s], keep writing Seamus, never give up the voyage, you’ll find it.

13 Likes

Thank you for this Seamus, it’s an incredible piece of writing. Keep it up, one day after another. Keep looking for the places and people where god put in a little extra effort and savor them. See you on the Camino.

4 Likes

Last night I made a simple bowl of homemade Pho style pork soup.
I honor Bourdain in making and consuming a food I know he dearly loved.
RiP, you are my Hero.

16 Likes

Looks mighty fine, you need to share :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks! We make what we call “Faux Pho”.
We save all the chicken backs and necks, pork and beef bones and trimmings in the fridge until we have a pot full.
Slowly simmer all day.
Ginger, salt, star anise, fish sauce, green onion and other stuff we need to use up.
Stained and add noodles, bean sprout, green onions, meat(s).
Cheers!

10 Likes

Right on.

Thanks for sharing something so incredibly personal. Your writing degree wasn’t wasted, clearly.

20 Likes

Thanks Seamus. It’s good to know I’m not alone.

8 Likes

ultreia et suseia.

3 Likes

I publish a free weekly listing of Energy (and Other) Events around Cambridge, MA at http://hubevents.blogspot.com if you’re coming to the Boston area and looking for something to do. Always something going on around here. Feel free to look me up if you are traveling through.

2 Likes