I punked the Sotheby's Burning Man auction

Originally published at: I punked the Sotheby's Burning Man auction | Boing Boing

21 Likes

@Rusty_Blazenhoff But I’m a Cacophonist, dammit

Ah . . . thanks for the TIL. Reading about this group brought back memories of participating in several Spam Jake Days in the early and mid-1990s. While Hormel was the original target of those, I still have copies of a long and bizarre correspondence with a woman named “Utz” at the eponymous potato chip company, where I had complained about the uneven distribution of the amplitude waves between the crests of the Utz ripple chips. She was quite patient and game for the whole thing.

Similar spirits, I think.

16 Likes

Beautiful. Haven’t grinned and giggled like that for quite some time. Bravo to you and your wonderful friends.

6 Likes

I minted an NFT of the sign

:sweat: ugh NFTs

That said the whole scenario is exactly the kind of chaos and nefariousness that i would do myself

5 Likes

11 Likes

I know, I know. But it won’t be exchanged. It will just sit there.

5 Likes

Hope you didn’t perceive it as a slight against you, don’t think you did :slight_smile:

How do you think the auction went and the attention your stuff got? Is that something you even care about?

Edit: I’d love to see what you do with the sign. Are you gunna frame it or what do you have in mind?

4 Likes

Definitely did not! I’ve been in this biz long enough to not take things personally.

So, the auction is still happening and I would love for the entire thing to be a success. Mine is holding steady at $300: https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2021/boundless-space-the-possibilities-of-burning-man/rusty-blazenhoff

I don’t have the sign in hand yet but, when I do, I suspect I’ll find a nice spot in my “trophy” case, a cabinet that holds items that bring me joy. :smiley:

10 Likes

Congrats on the perfect response. This is the kind of social disruption I thrive on!

7 Likes

So naughty, modifying your own items!

8 Likes

this is true burning man humor. love it. i am sure the org would also approve.

8 Likes
5 Likes

Auctions are lots of fun. When someone with eccentric tastes has their estate items put up for auction, it can make for some pretty cool finds.

2 Likes

Just when I thought things couldn’t get any weirder, the NFT I made has been added to the official collection: https://opensea.io/0x2799ac2ce03b394d175810865c1477da14cbfb21

5 Likes

BRAVO!

“Do Not Touch” Burning Man art feels like trying to defend a sandcastle from the tide.

4 Likes

My understanding is that artists have every right to modify work. However if another party does so it may well be vandalism.

To quote a sculpture artists friend of mine when a preice of mosaic got smashed off during install: “I have to fix it, it’s my work and as THE ARTIST only I can do so.”

I never quite knew what to make of the notion.

And your secret ninja friend can claim that they stole something from a Sotheby’s art auction.

That’s priceless!

2 Likes

Oh man, museum conservators are screwed!

2 Likes

What was disrupted?

A piece of blue cardboard, about 3"x5”, which was replaced with different cardboard bearing the same message. This is what happens when you dance with the devil that is burning man-- or maybe it’s all just a FrEaKy DrEaM