"I run the county," Florida official in Ferrari tells cop in likely attempt to avoid speeding ticket (video)

Originally published at: "I run the county," Florida official in Ferrari tells cop in likely attempt to avoid speeding ticket (video) | Boing Boing

4 Likes

So my first thought is, how does a county commissioner afford a Ferrari?

32 Likes

That’s not even an attempt at making an excuse, it’s just a recap of the crime itself.

26 Likes

Howisit that an elected official can afford a ferrari and a benz?

15 Likes

Mullins was driving a 2013 Ferrari convertible sports car when he was pulled over on northbound Interstate 95 at mile marker 287 in Flagler County. Mullins’ Ferrari was traveling 92 mph in a 70-mph zone, according to the citation.

92 mph on I-95 is just keeping up with traffic.

7 Likes

12 Likes

It is not uncommon for county commissioners to take home salaries in the hundreds of thousands, just because nobody is even paying attention to how much random officials make.

5 Likes

And a Mercedes!

5 Likes

A quick Google search brought up an article from March saying commissioners in that county make less than $60K.

Of course it’s also entirely possible that he’s using his position to enrich himself via shady real estate transactions or something.

8 Likes

In the actual article it says he was claiming to be on phone calls during both instances, which doesn’t exactly work as a good defense either.

11 Likes

Of course, he’s a Republican. This is also likely not the first time this arsehole has pulled out this variation on “do you know who I am?”.

7 Likes

Those in authority should be more culpable, not less. Doubled consequences for government officials breaking the law. Quadrupled for those trying to intimidate LEOs into letting it slide.

14 Likes

Agreed. The one time I received a speeding ticket in my life was for doing 80 in a 65 while driving a state-owned truck. The officer was clearly annoyed (and rightly so) that I was doing that in a government vehicle, so there are a least a few officers out there who do try to hold officials to account.

11 Likes

Good question… Betsy, got an answer for us, hun?

Also… no spoilers as I’m not caught up!

3 Likes

He gave up avocado toast?

6 Likes

Quick research reveals he’s driving what looks to be a 2005 F430 Spider Ferrari… which from the sold auction prices I’m finding goes for about 120-150k these days, though there is an outlier at 220k. So while I agree it’s a hell of a flashy expenditure for a official with the county government, it doesn’t seem like it’s totally out of the guy’s financial reach.

3 Likes

Using his position to avoid getting a speeding ticket. Who does that guy think he is… a state trooper?

4 Likes

In cases like these it’s really, “Don’t you know who I think I am?!”

4 Likes

5 Likes

something like… the passage of time