I think you're freekeh, and I like you a lot (on my plate and in my belly)

[Read the post]

Another day, another hipster chow…
Let’s give it a decade and see if it sticks around.

…what about the argument about the western demand on such stuff increases its prices which somewhat benefits the farmers but has negative impacts to the production-area consumers?

…just stirring the pot…

4 Likes

Sold! ­

1 Like

Now for the serious reply: one reason for quinoa’s resurgence is that it’s highly nutritious. How does freekeh stand up against other grains?

So… the carbon print…

I can already see hipsters scratching their heads in violent confusion!

1 Like

I’ve recently tried to get Freekeh to work as a food staple, and it has strong off-putting tastes when eaten plain. I’ve tried several dishes, but without tossing it into an already flavorful dish I cannot get it to work. I need to try more traditional dishes to see how it fares but every other grain I have tried tastes better than this stuff.

1 Like

This appears to be cracked wheat that’s been smoked. I imagine it’s not going to sell well on the nutritional merits until the gluten-is-evil zeitgeist subsides.

3 Likes

I was eating the stuff before it was cool… Found it in my local Persian grocery, tried it, liked the stuff. (My wife doesn’t like smoky flavors, so she dislikes it, and it takes long enough to cook I don’t make it very often.)

Nutritionally, it’s wheat, maybe a bit more whole-grain than the more popular varieties, and you can make it wherever wheat grows. (I don’t know if Bob’s Red Mill is buying theirs from the Middle East or the US Midwest.) As far as the production-area consumers go, that issue turned out to be somewhat bogus for quinoa, and depending on how much of the retail price gets back to the farmers, they’ll probably make more profit than for regular wheat.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.