I used this cool liquid plastic welding material to repair a broken butter tray door

How much do you know about photochemistry?

Define “nasty”? Would it work as conformal coating (dip a circuitboard in it, shine UV lamp at it)?

Gee, who should know more about this? You, or the company that actually makes it? I’m going with Answer B.

The company won’t give you the spectral characteristics of the photoinitiator used, at least not in the user-level blurb. I would wish to live in a world where this stuff is common in the leaflet that comes with the product, but alas, I don’t.

Sorry, the physics is on my side. Check how the absorption curves look in general; you don’t have a zero-width peak at one wavelength, you get something vaguely Gaussian, with a peak and width.

For me, it’s enough to see they use regular off-the-shelf LEDs (otherwise their price point would be quite elsewhere). That’s sufficient to infer that a narrower-band source that falls well within the broadband emission of the LED will work well with this composition.

Again, how much do you know about photochemistry?

2 Likes

You’re supposing. They’re not.

If I have to choose between believing photochemistry textbook vs a formulation in a user-targeted corporate blurb, I choose the first.

Face it, the physics wins at the end. If you know more than I do, please tell me, citations welcomed. Otherwise I have to assume, based on your prior performance in the sci/tech field, that you are blowing smoke and that I forgot more about photochemistry than you ever knew.

2 Likes

This substance could be useful for 3D printing/3D repair work driven by gcode!!!

2 Likes

Yes. There are translucent filaments but not transparent. The Form 2 can get semi transparency with its SLA resin process.

1 Like

MEK mixed with acrylic beads. Goo of variable viscosity that is air curing into solid acrylic. Bonus points if the plastic being fixed is vulnerable to solvents, then you get some really fun plastic bonding going on.

Got the idea for this one when trying to figure out a way to stabilize wood with acrylic in a home vacuum/pressure set up…

1 Like

Sorry, but no. Why would they lie about something that could be easily be disproved.

And BTW, I hit a drop of Bondic with my 9-LED UV light (a true UV light, not one of those “near UV” lights for pet stains, etc.) for 10 seconds (double the usual cure time) and all it did was turn a bit gummy. Then, just to be sure, I hit another drop with the UV light that came with the Bondic for 5 seconds, and it was solid plastic.

Superglue is only good for sticking fingers together.

4 Likes

Nuh-uh! I always pull through the narrow hole in ID badges, because I wear them on a carabiner hooked to a belt loop. So every time I get a badge like that, I raid the supply closet for a paperclip, unbend it, rebend it to outline that little hole at the top of the badge, then superglue it down around the hole. Try pulling through now!

1 Like

Yup. I have exactly one filling, and they did it with UV cured resin. Because they didn’t ask me. Anyway there was a ton of eye protection involved for everyone including myself, and the dentist had his assistant leave during curing as if the UV light were plutonium instead of mildly ionizing.

In anycase, if they’d given me a choice (I was 17 at the time, I didn’t make my own medical decisions, my dad’s union insurance did) I’d have gone with a metal amalgam filling. They last twice as long as polymer resin fillings, and are easier to replace.

I’m guessing people are just so afraid of mercury and they’ve been so badly failed by the US education system that they don’t understand that silver and gold amalgam fillings actually don’t leech elemental mercury at all. It’s all safe and biocompatible. But fucking Foodbabe and her ilk keep capitalizing on the fear of the stupid and scientifically illiterate.

2 Likes

I’m a sucker for Sugru in all my fixes - It’s much more fun and colourful - and flexible too.

1 Like

I wouldn’t consider it overt lying. Oversimplification for the users, maybe?

Even with LEDs you often get the peak wavelength in the short specs and the spectrum curve buried in the back pages of the datasheet. That doesn’t mean it is a thin line with all the energy radiated at a single wavelength; even semiconductor lasers have quite wide (for lasers) wavelength range.

If it is not the “near UV”, can I know the wavelength from the specs, and the device specs in general? From that, the spectral characteristics of the source can be inferred.

What is important for the hardening is the energy transferred. The overlap between the emission spectrum of the source and the absorption spectrum of the photoinitiator is what controls the energy transfer.

Try some generic 400-405nm UV LED if you have some.

Edit: Also, your results confirm my claim. Even with a source that is apparently quite off with wavelength peak you got SOME energy transfer.

1 Like

Wow. You’re completely unable to admit you’re wrong.

1 Like

#bestworldproblems

5 Likes

narcissus had shaddackism.

I am willing to admit when I am wrong - but only when I am wrong. Which is not this case.

Again, how much do you know about photochemistry? I cannot call myself a photochem expert but I have at least some clue.

Not to choose sides (don’t care) or to wade into this debate (want nothing of it) but these two blurbs just beg the question: You do know that this company operates in a late stage western capitalist society where it is odds on that it is piloted by lying, poo flinging monkeys?

Full disclosure: This appears to be a Canuck.com - same rules apply, they just throw TP as well (sorry!)

5 Likes

It’s not just a river in Egypt.

1 Like