I was a Jeopardy! clue

Game shows are all predicated on a gimmick. None of them work as just straight trivia or guessing games.

Explain the “gimmick” used on “QI”, then?

A clue is nice, but I was an answer in the form of a question once:

4 Likes

Wow! White dudes are finally getting attention for their accomplishments.

1. all the contestants are professional entertainers
  2. there is no singular way to get or to lose points. You can get them for being “quite interesting” while being off topic or on a tangent.

Qi really isn’t a game show so much as it’s a chat show with a very lose quiz going on. which is probably the third gimmick.

3 Likes

he’s usually very cordial, and he usually will give a good-natured ribbing when the opportunity presents itself. hopefully that was how it was with you, but I’ve noticed that he’ll occasionally say something really dick-ish; not exactly on purpose, but more in a clueless-as-to-how-inappropriate-it-is way. it’s very upsetting, since the players are out of their element and aren’t going to call him out on it; they’ve got more important things to focus on, but the real shame is that I feel like he might take people’s head out of their game, and he doesn’t even seem to realize he’s doing it.

maybe it’s just me. anyone else ever seen this?

FUCK THA LAWWWWWWW!!! AHHHHH-HA-HA-HA-HA!

QI at least has some structure to their point systems, but it’s funny how many shows (especially British ones) use “fake points” as their gimmick.

I just recently started watching a lot of the old episides from the American version of “Whose Line Is It Anyway?”, and although the show’s fun, it’s always painful to watch the announcer explain the concept of “points that don’t really mean anything” to the presumably clueless American viewers at the beginning of every. single. show.

Granted, it’s not exactly a game show with the fake points, but it really starts to blur the lines.

Just look at that.

2 Likes

I seem to remember they tried to introduce an Australian version, and literally the whole show the host was reminding the contestants that they had to answer in the form of a question, like pretty much every time. I think it got canned before the end of the first season.

A banana?

I guess you’re entitled to your opinion?

http://youtu.be/Uefsl3H64EA

3 Likes

I read your book! Do I get extra points for that?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.