"I Was Friends with a Serial Killer"

4 Likes

As creepy as these people are, it’s all the people who are normal who really scare me. What if they are serial killers I’ve just gotten on the right side of?

2 Likes

It’s not paranoia if you know they’re out to get you. :upside_down:

3 Likes

This actually happened to the receptionist at my old job. She had previously worked at Cannon and had a co-worker she took smoke breaks with regularly. One day her husband calls her in to look at a breaking news story on the television - her co-worker was being busted for murdering several prostitutes. He used to park his car really far away in the parking lot - turns out that was because he had dead people in there. She said he was friendly but always a little guarded. Still, she had no inkling that something was terribly wrong.

11 Likes

I can’t remember what the statistics were for how many people out of a certain number are mentally wired as psychopaths (regardless if they’ve killed someone or not), but it was a decent number. But odds are we’ve all been nearby or personally known a few. Not all of them are violent but it is a thought that can be unsettling.

If you haven’t checked it out i recommend this TED Talk by a researcher that found out that he’s a psychopath after running his DNA to check for the genetic markers for it.

4 Likes

Serial killers typically don’t kill people they’re close to… or so I’m told? So maybe befriending serial killers and other violent people is like steering into the skid. Kinda like if some weirdo is walking behind you late at night, and you loudly say “nice night for a walk”, walk with them, make small talk, etc.

2 Likes

What was really interesting is that the whole reveal that she knew a serial killer came out of a conversation we were having about who was the cutest serial killer. Obviously, that was Ted Bundy. I really felt that the co-worker who was trying to figure this out could aim higher for his dating choices.

Yes, it’s interesting how some people seem to segregate out this secret part of their lives. Isn’t that what makes them interesting? We all have these little secret aspects of ourselves, but to keep your hobby of murder separate from all the rest of your life must take so much effort and planning - or are we just so blind to what is not right in front of us that serial killers can operate without that much caution and we are so incurious we just don’t see. Think about the fact that she was taking a smoke break with this guy and literally there were dead bodies in his car right there and she had no idea or concern.

2 Likes

Sociopaths aren’t necessarily killers. Most aren’t. They’re just wired differently.

It must suck for people with personality disorders to find mental health care. I’ve known a few, and they say most practitioners won’t accept them as patients. These people are looking for help, but instead they’re treated as pariahs and potential violent criminals. It’s like therapists aren’t set up to care for those who need them the most. It’s probably not politically correct to say this, but it’s as if they are only out to solve pampered suburbanites’ first world problems.

4 Likes

I’m reminded of the episode of Coupling where Jane’s therapist dumps her as a patient.

A few episodes later when they run into each other, “No, I was the therapist. We used to take turns, remember?”

2 Likes

A very very good friend of mine has extreme anxiety, i believe it’s linked to some sort of personality disorder but i forget precisely what the diagnosis is. But she struggles finding appropriate mental healthcare, a lot of the medical professionals and social workers she deals with either don’t care or treat her like she’s making stuff up or she’s crazy. There’s definitely a heavy stigma around mental health, it’s one of the reasons i’ve struggled with anxiety. I just don’t want to deal with the BS with other people.

Edit: Out of curiosity i looked it up, there is a defined difference between Psychopathy and Sociopathy apparently. I was talking particularly about the former, but your point you made in response to what i said still applies.

2 Likes

My old roommate from my rave days (shut it) totally murdered a homeless man. With an axe. To the face.

A very strange development from taking lots of ahem rave drugs, to… that.

And cuz Canada, he’s out now, and DJing and freaking the rest of us out when he turns up at social events. :[

10 Likes

Not excusing the murder, but had he done it sober i would be way more disturbed to be around someone like that. Still that’s fucking crazy.

2 Likes

We’d been out of touch for years, as most of us grew up and out out of the scene, some people (him for example) stayed in, got deeper and started in on Trainspotting territory. But still, yes, fucking crazy indeed.

3 Likes

Speaking of trainspotting. Irvine Welsh’s wife once stole all the beer from a rather good party I was attending in college.

5 Likes

Things you can judge a book by:

• The author photo
  • The taste of its binding glue
  • Number of pages
  • 1/2mv^2
  • The ISBN
  • Its cover

0 voters

1 Like

Can you please write a memoir someday. I need to read all the incredibly details of your life.

4 Likes

Haha, see, I think I live a boring sedate life! But maybe I just know a lot of people LOL?

1 Like

I consider myself an incredibly boring person as well. I’m a homebody for the most part but over the years i’ve found myself accidentally in preposterous situations. Like being run out of a strip club, or going to a bar with a friend to play pool and ending up at an empty brand new house drinking beer with weed smoking (and drug snorting) mexicans… most of my really strange ones i have no explanation for.

I still think my life is pretty humdrum.

4 Likes

I actually didn’t think it was well written. It felt too jerky for me to read comfortably.

1 Like

Sociopaths are the ones who can hide their true nature behind a veneer of glib affability. “He always seemed like such a nice boy.”

Trump is unable to make any such pretense. He’s straight up psychotic.