"I Was Friends with a Serial Killer"

Same. I found it poorly written. Interesting subject matter was all, but not good story telling.

1 Like

I found it interesting enough that the writing per se didn’t bother me. But very light on content, it would be very well served as a long form piece (written by someone else maybe? ;P)

2 Likes

There’s a lot of perfectly harmless personality disorders so I feel bad when you conflate them all with psychopathy and sociopathy. It’s hard enough for people with mental issues as is.

The problem with the vast majority of psychopaths is that they don’t believe they have a problem and as they have a disconnection with the ability of feeling empathy, it’s extremely rare that any kind of therapy provides any type of real change. Most cases of true psychopaths searching therapy end up being cases where they are learning how to emulate feelings better so they mingle better with prey.

True sociopaths believe even less that they have a problem. The OTHER people have a problem. Usually true sociopaths are diagnosed pretty much in prison after committing a crime, they don’t have regrets about doing it but only in getting caught. There were some studies about how the brain area that is responsible for empathy is underdeveloped in both psycopaths and sociopaths, but sociopaths are a complicated issue because there’s no known treatment for them.

So, yeah, I believe that some people on the specter of psychopathy with some level of empathy deficit can understand that there’s something wrong with them but can you REALLY fault a health practitioner for being afraid of being manipulated and used by people that are notoriously bad patients on the basis that “maybe this one is different?”

1 Like

The one video i linked above is of a researcher that discovered that he was a psychopath, which surprised him because he’d led a pretty normal life and had a good relationship with his family and friends. However after he made the find and started asking his loved ones they weren’t surprised by the diagnosis. If you haven’t watched it i recommend it, i believe he wrote a book about it too.

But all told he thankfully was not a violent person, and as you brought up he started trying to act more emphatically even if he didn’t mean it and his bond with those around him improved :slight_smile: he just had to remind himself to be more mindful of others and had to actively work on it.

5 Likes

One of my brother-in-law’s claims to fame is that when he was a second-hand car salesman, he sold one to Gary Ridgway.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.