Ice cream drivers at war

[Read the post]

2 Likes

23 Likes

I think Radiolab did an episode on two warring ice cream vendors in Oregon last year. Very much worth listening to.

7 Likes

In this cold war the ice cream men are only proxies. One side of the cold war is being funded by capitalist children in private schools and the other side is being funded by communist children in public schools. The homeschool students have remained neutral and are brokering negotiations.

9 Likes

The 1099 world is tough indeed. This never happens to W2 guys, they know exactly where their turf ends.

3 Likes

Doesn’t this story get written by a major newspaper, like, three out of every four years?

4 Likes

Mr. Bunny!

(Besides Comfort and Joy, ice cream wars were also the main plot device in an episode of New Tricks.)

4 Likes

Don’t push these guys.

7 Likes

“bell-jingling fleets of pleasure craft festooned with pictures of perfectly swirled desserts and beaming children.”

Sounds nice on the surface, but underneath lurks the heart & soul of a hardened Ice Cream Warrior.

4 Likes

Summarising, the Glasgow ice cream wars were a turf battle between gangs of heroin dealers who used ice cream vans as their distribution networks. It would be interesting to know if this is the explanation in the case in the article.

5 Likes

Apparently Ice Cream & Horse are paired well together.

2 Likes
2 Likes

The times also had an article recently about the battles between the Beatles-specific buskers at Strawberry fields. It too was replete with heightened language and featured an arc of a recently deceased iron-fisted dictator who managed to keep the peace, and the dawning of a newer, more democratic/technocratic peace. These street-economy turf wars must be NYC’s version of covering the local 4H club…

3 Likes

Gangs. Heroin. Knife crime. Ice cream.

5 Likes

Thought of Comfort and Joy immediately too. One of my favorite movies ever. I had no idea though that it was more or less a documentary!

“Mr. Bunny is a rogue elephant. He does not play by the rules, Mr. Bird.”

“The unwritten ones?”

Bill Forsyth has created some true gems. Y’all owe it to yourselves to see every one of them. I loved Local Hero as well.

3 Likes
1 Like

Maybe they’re just lonely and need some friends…

3 Likes

You don’t mess with people who have cash businesses. Car washes and ice cream trucks man, you do not mess with them!

7 Likes

Ice Cream Wars must be a thing… Who knew?

4 Likes

One of my all time favorites

12 Likes