Ice cream in China doesn't melt, even under a flame, sparking controversy

Originally published at: Ice cream in China doesn't melt, even under a flame, sparking controversy | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Not solely a China issue, although perhaps it’s more extreme there.

13 Likes
10 Likes

Bleh. I’m one of those folks who prefers ice cream “soup”.

7 Likes

I haven’t had it in a while but I used to love that stuff. The amazing toothsomeness of a water chestnut with the sweetness of ice cream. :heart_eyes:

To the original post, having recently gone out for ice cream when it was about 90F here, I can see the allure! It was a race, and one had to thread the line between “ice cream headache” and “melted mess running down arm.”

9 Likes

Right? We make a few batches a year and because it only contains heavy cream, sugar, flavoring (real vanilla extract, creme de menthe, similar) and fruit/chocolate chips, it friggin melts!

3 Likes

If I have vanilla i like to add milk and make a soup!

1 Like

I happen to know that REI carries in in their camping food area, if you have a hankering for it. It ain’t cheap, though.

To my mouth, it feels more like the marshmallow bits (‘marbits’?) from certain breakfast cereals, but it still tastes like ice cream.

2 Likes

No peanuts though?

3 Likes
5 Likes

What are these peasant complaining about? Do they have any idea how expensive it can be to get an otherwise cheap and unexceptional part in its extended temperature range variant?

The lighter test suggests that they are getting military grade extended temperature ice cream here; where is there thankfulness?

2 Likes

Melamine has a melting point 10x higher than 31 C. There have been scandals in
China with melamine being sold as milk. Just saying.

7 Likes

No thanks.

1 Like

It’s also a floor wax.

12 Likes

Saying your product meets Chinese national food safety standards doesn’t inspire a huge amount of confidence.

4 Likes

It’s a dessert topping!

5 Likes

People were sentenced to death over that. I don’t see any major Chinese companies risking using melamine there now.

3 Likes

I’m guessing if you held a lighter to regular ice cream it wouldn’t melt right away - inertia.

2 Likes

McDonalds shakes do the same thing (or they used to - been a long time since I’ve been there).

They have some sort of thickening agent in them, and stay that way even at room temperature.

Wow, this is just like that episode of American Dad about Chinese ice cream.

AlienThomas