Ice cream licker jailed

Extreme ‘grazing’!

The closet thing I can think of is (of all things) limitations on free speech, i.e., the ‘fire in a crowded theater’ problem. It’s not just the infectious nature of what he did, it’s that he publicized it with the desire to get more eyes on his post, which leads to copycats and panic.

6 Likes

This happened 6 months ago.

Everyone in Texas wanted to kill the white girl too. (I know I said no photos, but that’s not strictly true, as there was a large “have you seen this unidentified woman?” campaign before they caught up with her.)

Again, he basically got slapped with a shoplifting crime when he could have been charged with any number of things. and had to pay for damage done. This was a very light sentence.

Rather sums it up better, I think.

See above.

4 Likes

black ice cream licker jailed
rich white donut licker reluctantly apologizes

As others have said, I’m not condoning the ice cream licker’s behaviour but…

One of these punishments is not like the other…

7 Likes

Round here these have paper or plastic seals over the cap, if there is no safety pop-up lid. If opened, it is very easy to see the seal is broken

It was? So, if you were talking to this guy about what his prison sentence was like, you’d say “well, you did lick ice cream before buying it”?

6 Likes

The charge was “misdemeanor criminal mischief,” not shoplifting/consuming food before purchase.

6 Likes

No, I’d say, “let me get this straight: you saw there were people going apeshit about a strange woman licking ice cream and leaving it in stores, so you thought, ‘you know what would be funny? If I pretended to do that for YouTube.’ And then you actually put the ice cream back, forcing the store to take no chances and chuck it all as a matter of the health code. And all you had to do was pay damages? and do 30 days for a misdemeanor? In TEXAS? You are the luckiest man I’ve met”

6 Likes

No. See my previous reply, above. That’s what I’d say.

Considering that the Class-A misdemeanor crime of criminal mischief with damage to property greater than $750, to which he pleaded guilty, carried a potential sentence of up to a year in prison plus a fine of $4,000, plus restitution?

Yes, it was a very light sentence.

3 Likes

Oh, you think the punishment is a deterrent? In that case, I have news for you:

Care to change your mind now?

2 Likes

You don’t think that maybe they wanted to set an example? Whatever, you obviously don’t see a problem with his behaviour so…

1 Like

OK, so your position is that people who commit crimes shouldn’t even be compelled to do community service?

2 Likes

the link didn’t work for me.

It is completely and utterly clear that this man was railroaded on a ridiculous charge because he exercised his free speech rights. Honestly, the judge should be disbarred and the prosecutor put up on kidnaping charges after being disbarred for this.

Oh, and reported for editing my comment.

??? Whatever. Editing comments goes on all the time here

Clearly we disagree, seeing as you think simulating an anti-social and potentially dangerous act specifically in order to encourage others to do the same is protected free speech that should have no consequences.

Good day to you.

2 Likes

No, that’s not my position. However, I don’t think punishment is necessary or even helpful for anyone involved, I prefer restoration and preventive measures (both of which might include community service).

I have a hard time considering ice cream licking a crime, but that’s probably just due to my general irresponsible nature. I imagine if I opened a cup of ice cream and found somebody had already licked it, I’d probably simply give the first serving to my uncle.

Given the massive outrage ice cream lickers are causing, I don’t want to create the impression that I support this despicable behavior, which I consider a serious danger to the social order of this country. In my time, when we caught an ice cream licker, they had to wear a sign “Eisschlecker” around their neck for a solid week.

1 Like

I am genuinely confused. Are you saying that no crimes should warrant punishment (since punishment does not deter crime), or just that this particular crime does not warrant punishment?

I’m totally on board with moving away from mass incarceration but I think it makes sense to have SOME kind of disincentive for bad/criminal behavior.

3 Likes
1 Like