Ice-T shares his unfiltered opinion on typography

I mean, I’d be down with that font for a wedding - but it would be a cool gothy one.

3 Likes

Clearly font selection for memes DOES make a difference in how they are perceived by the reader or none of us would be having this conversation.

Comic Sans isn’t a default font because it is decidedly non-neutral in tone. It imbues the message with additional meaning that a font chosen purely based on legibility does not. Is that important? Only if you care about people focusing on the message instead of the typeface.

2 Likes

Most of my clients are designers. One uses comic sans for ALL of her emails. Sometimes I wonder if she uses it just for the sake of irony. She is quite a flake, so I just don’t know.

1 Like

I’m a designer. I once had a client suggest Comic Sans. I thought they were joking ironically and barked out a laugh…

…they were not joking.

3 Likes

1 Like

Hey, use whatever font you like. But please get the kerning right!

25 Likes

056c026d-1c66-4d42-9fae-a8e96df290c5-1020x1102

16 Likes

There’s an album by Queensbridge legend Cormega where he uses a typeface for his name that looks more appropriate for a perfume than a hip-hop LP (in fact, I swear I’ve seen this same typeface used on some sparking wine or cider brand.)

Cormega. The Realness Fragrance.

2 Likes

I’m talking about people who cares about the difference between Futura and Helvetica. Yes, designs can do great things, even in how we print letters. But typeface design is not some magic as some people want us to believe.

So you think graphic design is pointless?

How about Comic Sans on a tombstone?

3 Likes

It’s kind of like how different people have different levels of interest in automobiles.

• Even a person who knows virtually nothing about cars can generally grasp the difference between a sedan vs. a dump truck vs. a Weinermobile.
  • A person who knows at least a little about cars can appreciate the difference between a Mercedes S-Class and a Kia Rio.
  • Gearheads who know a lot about cars can geek out about all kinds of small design or mechanical details that would make the average person’s eyes glaze over.

A person who chooses Comic Sans when they’re trying to be taken seriously is still in “driving a Weinermobile to work at the law firm” territory.

9 Likes

i’m not saying it’s magic, i’m just saying it’s important.

9 Likes

An anecdote: my son has dyslexia, and tells me that Comic Sans is easier for him to read. So I’ve learned to appreciate the font.

There isn’t a lot of research on the topic, but one hypothesis among people who do this niche work is: letters that look like mirror-images of other letters (e.g. “b” and “d” in most fonts) make things harder for people with dyslexia. If there are asymmetries to help distinguish the letters, it makes things easier.

There really isn’t enough data to convince me this is generally true or clinically useful. The arguments make sense, but a lot of things that make sense aren’t true. So I just learn about the dyslexic people in my own house. And my boy likes Comic Sans.

12 Likes

There is a font specifically for dyslexics called… Dyslexie iirc? The letters are tuned for better recognition. I do a bit of work for a Dyslexia foundation in the bay area. Nice folks.

10 Likes

Yeah, we were looking at Dyslexie. Looks like a great thing from good people. We had issues integrating it with his school computer work, so we looked for a next-best-thing that was more universally available. And landed on Comic Sans.

I was a bit of a typography snob before the boy was born; I find that aspect of suddenly loving comic sans pretty funny.

9 Likes

I sometimes threaten people with this.

4 Likes

I like to use Century for official documents and Arial for PowerPoint presentations, but I’m never quite sure what to do with charts and graphs.

I guess that makes me a weirdo to Ice-T.

ETA: Also, obligs.

3 Likes

FLICK MY BIC you 10 FLICKERING LIGHTS. :grinning:

1 Like

I use comic serif. If they are true font nerds they know I downloaded and installed that sh**

1 Like

No, I think it’s important, and it does convey a message. But it’s not something as mystical and divine as some people make it out to be. Comic sans is designed to be silly, Bamboo is racist, Calligra is hard to read, I get it. But these are specialized font and there’s nothing holy about any of them.