Iceland prime minister resigns over Panama Papers revelations

Does Iceland have any sort of volcano-sacrifice-based procedures for this sort of political exigency? Please?

5 Likes

I wonder if Iceland needs any English teachers…

3 Likes

Soooo the sort-of-Western country took a hit?

When is Suddeutsche Zeitung going to release the complete set of papers? You know - the bits that have the American and other Western names in them…? What’s the ICIJ up to?

Craig Murray wants to know, and so do I.

Bravo Iceland!!!

May your next government better represent your interests!

Come now. This is part of Scandiwegia. They probably export English teachers.

6 Likes

They say they won’t. I don’t know how exactly how access to the data is organized and what exactly that means for the other publications involved.

I understand that it must be a bit of a letdown that the biggest American name so far is Tina Turner.

And of course everything ever so tangentially involving Soros, the liberal-jew-monster from outer space is fishy and you have to be on your guard.

This happens a lot these days. If you ever find yourself refusing to resign, it’s probably a good sign that you’re about to.

1 Like

They say they won’t. I don’t know how exactly how access to the data is
organized and what exactly that means for the other publications
involved.

Exactly…so now we’ve got a gatekeeper. This isn’t government data, it’s private data, which means there’s less of an “Information wants to be freeee!” hue and cry; it also seems to me that it’s being released in an oddly particular way (regardless of the influence of Jews from space).

Although I suppose it’s possible that all of our domestic Mafiosi, drug lords, and machine politicians (but I repeat myself, ha!) just used Delaware for their shell corps…

1 Like

There was also this:

It’s even got a banana on it. Just look at it.

12 Likes

They could use illegally obtained data to dox thousands of people who haven’t necessarily done anything wrong or they could try to weigh that against the newsworthiness on a case-by-case basis.

So they opened with the sexiest names and the top few are non-western except for the one who isn’t and the lesser ones are all over the map. And that’s data from one firm that nobody even claims to be a representative sample of the shell companies of the world.

Not even two hours after the start of the release Murray is making totally unspecific allegations of a giant conspiracy. Because reasons. I get that that’s his thing. So far I just don’t see much substance to it.

1 Like

That’s what Salon was arguing a few days ago; money laundering and tax evasion is so easy to do in the US (if you’re rich) that there’s no need to go overseas.

3 Likes

Delaware is an acronym for Dollars and Euros Laundered And Washed At Reasonable Expense."

5 Likes

So Iceland’s progressive government that’s one of the only in the world actually jailing bankers for causing the crash goes under, while here in Argentina, the neoliberal conservative government full of CEOs is staying? Even after the president, 10 of his family members, his best friend and business partner (and erstwhile recipient of almost 100% of all government infrastructure and maintenance contracts since Macri became mayor of Buenas Aires in 2008), three of the president’s cabinet, the mayor of two cities and various friends all were found to have offshore entities? Ok. But Obama loves those guys, and likes Yerba mate, so great.

The fly on the shit sandwich is that these guys ran on a platform of ‘vote for us because the Kirschners’ progressive government that built up the middle class and diminished poverty were corrupt, and that’s bad’. Up until yesterday, after a little over 100 days of brutal capitalism on a rampage against regulation, with an end to subsidies, elimination of taxes for the mining industries and big agro, 150,000 layoffs in government, the closing of social programs and a sudden devaluation of 60%, people who only had access to conservative news outlets were still saying, ‘well this hurts but it was necessary to be done with those corrupt progressives’.

Supposedly the original release date for the leaks was in November, which would have been before the elections down here, very possibly costing Macri the slim margin he won by, or at least shutting his trap about how they were all ‘honesty and transparency’ compared to that dirty government for the people. But the date got pushed back. Lucky for upper class and hedge fund bros, bad as hell for the 1 million 400000 human beings down here who have fallen into poverty since New Years.

3 Likes

So, now do we get the Pirate Party?

3 Likes

The last thing I heard was that there would be no new elections for now.

Of course that may change depending on how easy it will be to agree on a replacement.

2 Likes

Provocative and effective!

2 Likes

Actually, they did exactly that. They told governments that bank regulation was tighter than necessary and could be safely reduced to help them do their jobs better. The British and US governments believed it.
The bankers were liars.

4 Likes

The US foreign taxation system seems an excellent idea that other countries should follow. The possession of a US passport is a valuable asset and US citizens expect the protection of their government abroad. It seems only fair that the richer ones should be asked to pay for it.
The major EU countries should do the same. Then we’ll find out how many of those rich people continue to “live” in tax havens.

1 Like

Excellent point.

Yep, you want be citizen of my country, you pay my taxes. If you live and also pay taxes elsewhere, or have assets elsewhere, that’s fine, we’ll take that into account so you’re not double taxed, but you will still pay at least as much as if you were living in my country.

1 Like