Iceland's Pirate Party to receive millions in election funding

[Read the post]

6 Likes

So what would have to happen for them to force a general election?

3 Likes

The Pirate Party would like to invite you to the Pirate Party, cash bar and wi-fi, all you can eat one night only, membership required and available for purchase.

Oh yeah.

9 Likes

35% of £1.6 million is not “millions” (except in Icelandic krona); it’s £560,000, which is about US$800,000.

2 Likes

I hadn’t ever thought about the Icelandic political process before, but this seems kind of weird considering that the country is small enough that standing on a Reykjavík street corner and speaking in a loud voice would reach a sizable portion of the electorate. So I can see why they don’t really care about funding.
This is all so refreshing given the clusterfuck that is American politics right now, the role of big money and the prominence of he-who-shall-not-be-named.

8 Likes

I LOVE iceland for so so so many reasons!!! Birgitta JĂłnsdĂłttir would make a great Prime Minister. If any country could rock a pirate party leader they could.

this gives me hope for the world! hurray for iceland!

(starts planning next vacation…)

11 Likes

So an oversized wooden chest filled with doubloons is probably out, then?

13 Likes

Isn’t the wooden chest always a bit too small so the doubloons will spill out the top?

6 Likes

Printing and posting a leaflet to reach every rural household will cost a fair bit even in Iceland. Say 120,000 households, printing cost around ÂŁ2000, plus postage of around ÂŁ18000.

1 Like

But they could just shout louder! Or stop by everyone’s house one weekend…

2 Likes

Good point. I can only assume that the chest is carefully designed by project managers, since it is always visibly oversized; but also visibly overfull, no matter the financial state of the buccaneer in question.

I need to get on that myself. I’ve always wanted to check out the country, and Iceland Air added direct flights from Denver to Reykjavik a few years back.

1 Like

Don’t address Icelanders by their [patronym] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_name#Cultural_ramifications_.E2.80.93_how_to_address_people) . “Birgitta Jónsdóttir” or just “Birgitta”, but just “Jónsdóttir” should be avoided.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.