Iceland's powerful Elf Lobby wins fight to unearth Elfin Lady Stone buried by construction workers

Yes and yes.

5 Likes

IANAI, but I suspect that it’s taken semi-seriously as a proxy for hard-to-articulate conservation concerns.

I mean, it’s easy to define a wildlife preserve, or limits for phosphates in groundwater, but what if there’s, say, a bend in a country road where a certain rock and a couple of trees make a spot that people have just always found really special? You can’t pin down its value precisely enough to write a law about it, but if you say a spirit lives there, and people are clear about what you mean by that, then you can usefully legislate to protect spirit houses.

In other words, the supernatural can sometimes be a code or shorthand for things that are real, but cannot be efficiently communicated in scientific or bureaucratic terms. So, yeah, I think it’s tongue-in-cheek but also quite serious.

8 Likes

I would like to take this opportunity to bring some well-deserved attention to a recently published book titled “Please YoursELF – Sex with the Icelandic Invisibles

2 Likes

great analysis. thanks

1 Like

3 Likes

They mocked, but I knew all of the study fees would pay off!

5 Likes

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.