Icelandverse is here and it blows Meta out of the water

Originally published at: Icelandverse is here and it blows Meta out of the water | Boing Boing

14 Likes

giphy

27 Likes

I can easily see a future where the degree of privilege in the West is directly correlated to what percentage of one’s waking hours one spends without VR or AR goggles strapped in front of one’s eyes

12 Likes

I don’t know about you guys, but want a volcanic pet rock now.

19 Likes

First, we go to North Malden.

9 Likes

One of the best tourism board promos ever! I just wish they had mentioned the elves.

14 Likes

3 Likes

I have booked passage to this magnificent country for early next year if all things go well. All this video does is get me more excited than I can handle at the moment.

23 Likes

Have a lovely time, it is magnificent.

9 Likes

Icelanders generally don’t talk about the Hidden People - it’s much more a foreign obsession.

As an Icelandic friend explained to me - it’s like agnostics - most of them won’t say the Hidden People exist, but they equally won’t say they don’t exist.

14 Likes

Enjoy yourself. It is spectacular, the weather is usually awful but it doesn’t really matter.

Get away from Reykjavík as soon as you can, be a nice tourist who follows the rules, don’t bother with an umbrella, enjoy the liquorice, don’t eat whale and don’t walk on the moss.

Honestly, it is a delightful place - even when it is cold and wet (which it usually is).

19 Likes

I’m down with all of this, but I have to ask… Do they not like umbrellas or are they simply pointless?

2 Likes

9 Likes

Leave it off this time.

12 Likes

9 Likes

Excellent. Needs more Bjork, tho…

9 Likes

I avoided ranting about umbrellas in a recent thread but… if your climate is atlantic, and you are in a town, save your fellow folk. Leave the brolly.

And yes. Often pointless at very best.

10 Likes

Unless your goal is to do an uncontrolled Mary Poppins impersonation?

9 Likes

I’ve been lucky enough to go there twice and all this does is make me want to go a third time, and a fourth. It is very possibly the best place.

9 Likes

That would be AWESOME!

Obviously.

And I will fight for how the recent Mary Poppins is great but it has different strengths and fewer of the weaknesses of the old film.

Not better. But different.

5 Likes