Icelandverse is here and it blows Meta out of the water

Where do the elves live since the Vikings and their sheep pretty much wiped out all the trees about 1000 years ago? An elf that lives somewhere other than a hollowed out tree or a Santa’s workshop is nothing but a common cave trolley. Gnome, at best.

6 Likes

They do what the Áes Sidhe do in Ireland, and live under the hills.

7 Likes

Umbrellas are utterly pointless in Iceland - the wind has teeth.

Just get a really good coat and you’ll be fine.

9 Likes

If that Eurovision film with Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams has taught me anything is, don’t mess with the elves.

8 Likes

The Hidden People live in the rocks - of which Iceland is not short. There are any number of Álfakirkja around Iceland which translate as ‘Elf Church’, but many communities will have particular rocks where they are supposed to live.

There is a legend in Iceland not to travel on the Twelfth Night after Christmas (Þrettándinn - the thirteenth day), because Iceland gets weird - okay weirder. It’s the day when cattle talk (but hearing them will drive you mad - this becomes a theme of the day), seals turn into humans and people have premonitions and the Hidden People move between homes.

The legends say that if you are travelling and come to a crossroads, then you should sit and wait as the Hidden People will be coming by. During the night they will tempt you with gifts - BUT YOU MUST NOT TAKE THEM. If you last the night, the Hidden People will gift you either gold or the second sight, but if you take a gift before dawn - you will go mad.

10 Likes

All fantastic advice, particularly

The best adventures are further afield. If you’re there in-season, the buses are great, will get you anywhere. Have a fantastic time, and remember to look up at night!

5 Likes

That’s my favorite sort of weather! I look forward to getting to Iceland one day.

5 Likes

That is also a well-known fact in (at least) Shetland, but I guess it’s all a blur up there in the North Atlantic, culturally speaking.

4 Likes

Kælan Mikla will do:

3 Likes

Nope. Bjork or go home…

bj hidden place GIF

5 Likes

This björk is worth attending too

Icelandverse has everything!

https://phallus.is/en/

4 Likes

Suppose, instead of accepting gold or second sight as a gift, I offer an exchange as barter, like a time-share at Aruba Millennium Resort? They might enjoy that.

2 Likes

I saw the documentary.

8 Likes

So say the Hidden People. Who wants to be know as the Unhidden People? :nerd_face:

5 Likes

If it’s duty free… I’m taking them.

4 Likes

It’d be interesting to know if the belief in the selkie (in Scotland and the islands) was tarnsferred to the Norse during their expansion or if the Vikings brought it to the British Isles, or if they both developed their own seal mythologies.

3 Likes

This is very devious thinking - they will of course mostly be interested in the quality of the rocks in Aruba. Very particular about their rocks.

2 Likes

Absolutely worth it.
We had a 19 days hiking + off-road trip in 2014 and still treasure any instant of that experience.
Here a small selection of the ~3000 pictures I took.
The only identifiable person is my daughter, but her expression while barefoot wading a glacier water torrent cannot be missed.
Bring warm clothes, and take into account that you will get wet.

7 Likes

That’s assuming seals don’t, in fact, shed their skins in a secret location to assume human form

3 Likes