Idiot faces jail for shutting down freeway to propose to girlfriend

As long as we don’t know her opinion, all we do are projections of our own biases and pure speculation.

“What a jerk. I hope he marries her forever”

• grumpy old man
1 Like

The thing that made this spectacle a major fail is that the idiot in question caused danger and delay for thousands of unrelated people. HER opinion doesn’t change that.

And? The discussions how Horribly Wrong was what he did are now burning more time than the actual delays caused.

People can choose to discuss this or not. You and I have some say in whether we want to spend our time that way, or what portion of our day we engage in said discussion.

The thousands of people who were late for work and/or trying to pick up or drop off their kids didn’t get that choice. Nor did anyone who might have been depending on emergency vehicles snarled in traffic. Douchebag pulls douche move and earns himself some well-deserved jail time. Proposal fail no matter which way you slice it.

3 Likes

Guy: “But I went to JAIL for you!!”
Girl: “What in God’s name made you think a jail sentence would make you more desirable?”

8 Likes

His basic problem is he didn’t go big enough. Shut down one measly highway? Amateur hour. Build an alien spacecraft, hover above the white house going Bleep Bloop, and shut down a nation.

Instant marriage.

6 Likes

It could’ve been a million other causes with the same outcome. So what? A few minutes rarely kill, and this kind of events is about as rare as it can be.

Were there actually any? The “what could’ve happened” class of arguments can be spun in a million of ways.

Will he actually get any? Now that’s a question.

That depends on her.

I can imagine you would love if he failed. I for one wish him luck, if only to see your righteousness disappointed.

If my car was damaged by a tree falling over in a storm I’d be frustrated. But if it was damaged by a guy cutting down a tree with a chainsaw just to impress his girlfriend I’d be goddamn livid.

The “fail” was in regards to his relationship to greater society.

4 Likes

Except no lasting damage was done. Allegory fails.

The “greater society” is an empty shell anyway.

Well there’s your problem.

2 Likes

Popo, did you hack shaddacks account?

10 Likes

10 Likes

Shit, I’d marry you if you managed to pull that off.

6 Likes

Stopping traffic on a highway will cause problems for at least a half hour after the stoppage is gone, probably longer.

Even if it was 5-10 minutes that’s truly despicable. Put it this way; delay a 1000 people for 10 minutes and you’ve stolen a total of 10,000 minutes from people’s days. That’s around a week of time. Would you personally give up a week of your time to sit in traffic so a stranger can have a dumb proposal?

It’s monstrous and selfish and not at all shrug worthy.

2 Likes

It’s actually becoming laugh-worthy with all the righteous condemnation it spawned.

I’m thoroughly on the “selfish and not at all shrug worthy” side of this debate. And to expand on @Brainspore’s “we’re living in a society” argument just a bit, the Categorical Imperative is always a good test. What if everyone did stupid crap like this? If traffic was snarled a few dozen times a day for little pranks or statements, or your internet connection interrupted, power turned off, train halted, etc.?

Its one thing if there’s a really big payoff, as with an act of civil disobedience. But there’s really no justifying payoff here. It wasn’t even funny or cute for the front row of cars that could see the action as you can hear by the angry honks.

3 Likes

there must have been a conspiracy to get that high quality photo!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.