Idiot faces jail for shutting down freeway to propose to girlfriend

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Honestly, it’s Houston. I’m kinda surprised he wasn’t shot.

3 Likes

Ambushing someone with a public marriage proposal is always a classy, consent-literate move, but it’s all the more romantic against a backdrop of car horns, smog and people screaming “I hope she dumps you, you asshole”.

/goes all misty-eyed

33 Likes

come on.

11 Likes

Have you seen the murder rate in Houston?

I thought the generic referent here was “Gentleman”?

3 Likes

He’s no gentleman.

yeah but you got to admit he really shkrelilled it

9 Likes

1 Like

Another thing to add to the list of “Things which work in Romantic Comedy, but are deeply wrong in real life.”

14 Likes

How long did it take? What level of traffic? How often are such events happening? Is it outrage-worthy (and worthy of the time/effort/emotions spent) at all, or just a shrug-worthy non-event?

It’s I-45 in Houston. That thing is practically a parking lot 24x7 anyway.

6 Likes

Don’t mess with people’s commutes. I don’t think even Greenpeace is going to do it again.

It’s a major highway. I haven’t been to Houston in awhile but from the video I-45 is four or five lanes. All with people standing in them. 10 minutes of that is traffic backed up for miles. Even ignoring the chance of trapping emergency services in standing traffic, it’s thousands of people inconvenienced.

8 Likes

Every time I read about flash mob marriage proposals, but especially those that involve the potential for people getting hurt, I think of Nacho Vigalondo’s short film, 7:35 de la Mañana:

“There were about 8 cars with me and we just lined up — 4 and 4 — and we just stopped,” Valladares told KTRK.

They stopped just before the juncture with I-10, close to downtown Houston. Not as bad as blocking the roller coaster hell that is 610, but a close second.

It’s a shrug-worthy non-event, as is a cretin getting six months in the slammer for being a narcissistic asshole.

But hey, it’s a feel-good story that says that there is sometimes justice in the world, as long as the stakes are small enough.

2 Likes

It can be, but it presumes that the person doing the asking actually knows their would-be fiancee well enough to accurately predict both A) what their answer will be, and B) how they feel about getting loads of attention from strangers in public.

If you don’t already know the answer then don’t ask the question, or at least don’t ask it in public. If your logic is “I have to make a grand gesture during the proposal so my sweetheart will want to marry me” then you should back up at least a step or two. (And this guy was flat-out doing it wrong in either case.)

3 Likes
"With a proposal this ostentatious, she'll *owe it to me*."
9 Likes