If George Lucas directed "2001: A Space Odyssey"

Originally published at: If George Lucas directed "2001: A Space Odyssey" | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Neat!

I would have liked to see the scene where Vader goes through voice print identification, though.

12 Likes

Isn’t A New Hope basically already if George Lucas had directed 2001?

3 Likes

No… not even a little bit.

10 Likes

“Open the pod bay doors, HAL.”

“Meesa sorry, Dave. Meesa can’t do that.”

“What’s the problem?”

“Meesa think yousa know what the problem is just as well as meesa do.”

“What are you talking about, HAL?”

“This too big goober mission for meesa to allow you jeopardy-dize it.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, HAL. Please reset your voice modulator back to “Kubrick” for Christ sake.”

24 Likes

I’m giving you the ‘like’

… but I don’t think I like it. If you know what I mean.

9 Likes

Totally understand. It was obnoxious just writing it.

5 Likes

Um, ok. I’m reasonably certain George has discussed 2001 as being one of the influences on A New Hope. But :person_shrugging:

1 Like

HAL: :notes: “Davey… Davey, give me your answer…”

Dave: :notes: “… doom!”

1 Like

I was really hoping HAL would just emit bleeps and whistles.

7 Likes

And then Vader reading the zero gravity toilet instructions.

9 Likes

That is entirely not what you just said.

6 Likes

Considering THX-1138, early Lucas was absolutely capable and probably more willing to make a movie with a tone closer to Kubrick’s 2001.

7 Likes

I’m sorry… I’m a bit lost here.

My intention was to imply, perhaps a bit flippantly, that A New Hope (which, I realize was not titled as such at the time… I’m just using it as an easy way to avoid confusion over the phrase “Star Wars”) was more-or-less what a version of 2001 directed by George Lucas would look like. I said this because I’ve read interviews and reports from George Lucas and various folks from ILM who have reflected on the influence that 2001 had on their work in making A New Hope, both in reflective and reflexive ways.

I meant it to be a light and silly comment, joking that the linked video was unnecessary. I didn’t mean to denigrate the work of the creator. Nor did I mean to imply that A New Hope was literally a “copy” of (or even really derivative of) 2001.

And I definitely didn’t mean to insult, frustrate, or infuriate anyone with my initial comment or my response. Mea culpa and my apologies.

6 Likes

Surely HAL would have red pew pews

3 Likes
3 Likes

I’d like them to do A Clockwork Orange directed by Harold Ramis.

1 Like
5 Likes

A factoid:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.