If offices had litter boxes instead of toilets

Originally published at: If offices had litter boxes instead of toilets | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Reminds me of a film review on TV from 20-30 years ago perhaps. I think it was a French film. The premise was that eating in public was taboo, pooping wasn’t. Saw a clip of a business meeting with people around a board table all sitting on porcelain loos, and accompanying sound effects during the meeting. A woman excuses herself from the meeting and enters a side room which is a small enclosed cubicle where she messily devours several mouthfuls of some pastries, has a mouthful or two of coffee and then wipes herself clean and returns to the meeting, getting few disapproving looks as she does. A complete inversion of modern mores.

2 Likes

I’m sure this was more that a little inspired by the litter boxes in schools myth:

3 Likes

It’s a source of ongoing regret that these Republican politicians never self-identify as fuckwit arseholes and have to be outed.

3 Likes

Ewww.

1 Like

I saw that. It wasn’t that long ago, I don’t think, and I’m pretty sure it was part of a skit comedy show. Does that help?

1 Like

No that must have been something else, I’m afraid. This was a foreign language film a decade or three ago. It was reviewed by Barry Norman, I suspect, on his long running UK TV programme “Film 'XX” (where XX was the year).

2 Likes

This screenshot is from a fascinating NHK World (from Japan) documentary about their super toilets a few years back:

I’ve showed it to a few friends and asked them what was unusual about the picture. Most of them took a minute or two to actually realised what the seats were :grin:

1 Like

Probably this, from The Phantom of Liberty, although the specifics differ:

3 Likes

It’s not a litter box; it’s an “open-plan bathroom”. Enhances creativity, or so I read in my management trade rag from behind my closed office door and call-screening executive assistant.

3 Likes

Well, the specifics are different but if it was this, I saw it almost 50 years ago (that would have been on “Film '74”, Barry Norman’s late night weekly film round-up/.review programme) so perhaps we can put it down to memory’s tricks. But I would have sworn it was a business meeting.

1 Like

I think that’s the one I’m remembering!

And clearly my memory of the details was very, very off!

1 Like

Well, a movie rather than TV, but it is divided up into various comedic skits.

1 Like

Yes, for some reason that aspect of it stuck in my mind. Let’s face it: Bunuel does have a sense of humor, but it’s very idiosyncratic, so most people wouldn’t think of him as a comedy director!

1 Like

Side note: is there a reason why we don’t use RV-style foot pedal toilets in more places, where you manually control how much water gets used? You can easily cut flushing water demand by a factor of 10 that way without loss of functionality.

IIRC some toilets are available with two flushing handles – one for liquid (small flush), the other for solids (large flush). Efficient!

Correct, but RV toilets go a step further: no water at all other than what you personally choose to add, and you choose exactly how long each flush should last. From personal experience I can say it’s easy to have total volume (waste plus flushing water) less than 2.5 gallons per day.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.