If the election was held today, Bernie would beat Trump by 8 points

Maxine Waters.

There is no legal or constitutional basis for this.

It would just make me very, VERY happy.

12 Likes

FTFY:

If the election were held today, either Bernie or Biden would beat Trump by 8 points

Given the numerous, vocal complaints from these quarters about how other media outlets are unfair to Bernie by not mentioning him, I figured you wouldn’t want to do the same thing to ol’ Joe. Or maybe it would be better to simply say it like it is:

If the election were held today, either of two old white men would get more votes than a third old white man

3 Likes

Uh oh, Bernie dissed a billionaire and questioned the objectivity of the corporate press. DISQUALIFIED!

6 Likes

Just don’t stay home in the general election because your first choice doesn’t get the Democratic Party nomination. Because then you’re choosing Trump.

13 Likes

Keep in mind that none of these candidates have yet had to endure the full undivided force of the GOP attack machine for a full national election cycle. The election is not going to be held today and whoever wins the nomination is going to get a lot of mud thrown their way over the coming months. That’s probably going to narrow that lead by at least a few points.

Also keep in mind that Trump is unlikely to concede the election or leave the office in an orderly fashion if the margin of victory against him is anything less than a landslide (remember, he still refuses to acknowledge that he lost the popular vote in 2016). So we could be looking at an actual constitutional crisis here even in the case of a narrow victory.

Those margins seem terrifyingly thin to me, all things considered.

17 Likes

And bickering needlessly amongst ourselves until the election is counterproductive.

16 Likes

Likelihood of the election being held today: 0%

10 Likes

the candidate is essentially going to be whomever the minority voters want

poll-july2

1 Like

Well, ok, but there is still a lot of race between now and then.

Let’s get the nomination locked first.

4 Likes

12 Likes

I foresee the future where Drump will make empty promises (again) to win over even more simpletons (again) and will be elected the second time.

1 Like

This does not exactly answer you question, but there is an interactive elector map that lets you specify if a state goes Democratic or Republican and see the resulting EC vote count.

The default settings when you first visit are based on a consensus of polls.

https://electoralvotemap.com/

3 Likes

Ahhhh man! Them again??!!

This needs to be said louder!

Just don’t stay home in the general election, because then you’re choosing Trump!

12 Likes

I am unsurprised that Cory continues to use cherrypicked data when he likes the results and rails against cherrypicked data when he doesn’t like the results.

5 Likes

If nickels were ice cream cones, I’d have three ice cream cones.

2 Likes

FWIW, SurveyUSA gets an “A” rating as a pollster from 538 (the people who take their polling seriously and spend a lot of time parsing what makes a good poll and what doesn’t). It’s not like this was some obscure, poorly executed poll.

7 Likes

tumblr_dc6e47c02c4e5a11bd56d6fb6d6cf083_20b69edc_640

12 Likes

Something similar happened here, though we did manage to take it the next step and get a Sanders supporter in as chair of the state party. However as you later point out:

the “Dems” who confer endorsement are the people who show up.

After a while the “people who show up” just became the usual group, and we eventually lost the chairmanship.

Hillary was not chosen in a smoky room (even with the stupid stuff DWS did). Virtually all Delegates who confer endorsement in their states are volunteers representing local districts in each state.

In many states the active party rank-and-file is dominated by government union workers, especially teachers, as well as other labor union members, and the state leadership is populated by the most active among them. This cohort tends to be on the middle-left of the party.

3 Likes

Being a trekkie I prefer “And if my grandmother had wheels, she’d be a wagon”.

1 Like