If the foreign press treated American measles the way US media covered ebola

Sometimes you don’t “have to do it” but it looks like a more pragmatic way, so why not.

Getting a name consistently misspelled has several strategies to cope, from not caring to changing it to the most commonly misspelled version to getting upset all the time. One of them is markedly inferior.

1 Like

Does the spelling have anything to do with religion? According to this source Stuart is a French-sounding version of the earlier Stewart (although I imagine when it came back over the channel with Mary it would have been more associated with Catholicism rather than Protestantism):
http://www.electricscotland.com/history/sketches/highlandsketches42.gym

It turns out I have the same given names as Jon Stewart (spelled the same way, too). I’ve never met anyone called Jonathon or Johnathan, but people often used to spell it that way.

John vs. Jon? Yes.

1 Like

I once knew a Danial, but that was because his dad made a mistake when they were doing the birth certificate paperwork…

2 Likes

I get to wear the Stewart tartan, but we’re Ewarts.

1 Like

Anybody named Stewart, Stuart, Steward, Steuart, or less common variations of that name is used to getting it spelled wrong. (And yeah, anybody named “Jon” is pretty used to it too, but probably finds it more annoying.)

Some of the variation in last name spelling was a language difference, between Scots, French, and English, but most of it was because consistent spelling used to be pretty optional during the Middle Ages, even among people who were literate (and while most of the nobility with that last name probably were, most of the Scots peasants who acquired the name from their landlords probably weren’t; the older naming traditions were Somebody Son of Somebody or occasionally Somebody from Somewhere.)

1 Like

None of whom are particularly Jewish. Seems to me the VERY most spelling variations came from an Island in NY harbor, though I only presume that about the family etymology of Mr J.S. of the Daily Show.

most of the Scots peasants who acquired the name from their landlords probably weren’t

I resemble that remark!

the problem here is your mother has become infected with a dangerous mental virus. she, like those who infected her, simply had a low immunity to the infection (perhaps due to a history of such diseases as new age “science”) and is likely acting as a carrier for the disease herself. it’s not really her fault, or even the fault of those who infected her, we just need to make sure to inoculate as many people as possible against these kinds of infections.

1 Like

This has a name and quite some behavioral analyses. The concept of taking such piece of information as a standalone entity that can influence its host and use it to mutate and spread (and applying the evolutionary paradigms on its behavior/evolution) is fairly useful.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.