If Trump loses, America will erupt in violence: are we ready?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/09/if-trump-loses-america-will-erupt-in-violence-are-we-ready.html

15 Likes

If that orange fucker wins, the violence against everyone who 's not White, cis-het & male will be sanctioned and ceaseless.

This is not business as usual; THIS IS NOT A FUCKING GAME.

No, Yoy Luadha; that is the very least helpful thing that you can do here.

60 Likes

Not particularly worried about Meal Team Six, but thanks for trying to stir shit, BB and Atlantic.

10 Likes

And somehow, this kind of violent rhetoric isn’t at all disqualifying for a major segment of the electorate — so I can only assume they approve of it.

I know it’s been said many times, but as they say in Germany, if there’s a Nazi at the table and 10 other people sitting there talking to him, you got a table with 11 Nazi.

You can tut tut all you want, but if you don’t try to work against this insanity, you’re encouraging it. And eventually it will be your turn on the block.

44 Likes

It’s not stirring. Whether or not you are worried about them seizing the country, there is good reason to worry about them hurting people in it. Timothy McVeigh ultimately didn’t accomplish anything of note but there are still 168 people who were dead from his efforts. Just because many of these people are stupid about things doesn’t mean their violence won’t still have real victims, and we should take it seriously.

66 Likes

The only lesson Trump and the GOP learned from Jan. 6th 2021 was “go harder next time.”

There are a lot of possible nightmares I can envision coming with a Trump loss but I don’t think I should even mention them.

30 Likes

They can’t possibly be worse than the hellacious reality that will exist if he wins.

I am good and fucking tired of people worrying about ‘angering’ their abusers.

54 Likes

meal team six The magats didn’t show up in any numbers nor wreak havoc at merkin von bankrupt’s trials, as mvb had demanded they do. Anti-mvb demonstators outnumbered them by orders of magnitude. I expect similar non-riots after mvb bigly loses its next election. I do expect individuals and small groups to cause problems, but not the massive backlash the author seems to expect or even desire.

It’s all speculation, and it’s the last sort of speculation we need. This story is nothing but fearmongering BS.

Many of us have genuine reason to fear an mvb second term, and BS stories like this help absolutely no one - unless of course the author was paid.

To all scaremongers and mvb worshipers:
f-o-220x146

ETA:
I did not intend to make light of Jan 6, nor of what happened. I did not intend to make light of what could happen under a second reign of that giant orange blancmange.

18 Likes

I think we need to understand that we are in a position where the violence will come regardless. We need to be ready for it, I do have some faith that the feds will not be caught napping again, assuming Il Douche loses. If he wins, it will be state-sanctioned terrorism, but violence nonetheless. Work for the betterment, but do not be deceived into thinking that all will be well either way. We are too far gone for that.

46 Likes

Being willing doormats won’t stop it.

36 Likes

We should absolutely pay attention and be ready.

And also, if these dummies try to start another Civil War it will end even worse for them than the previous time they tried it.

3 Likes

“Hope for the best, prepare for the worst” seems to be the prudent course of action here.

I’ve seen no reason to assume the MAGA crowd will be more reasonable and peaceful in January 2024 than they were in January 2020.

24 Likes

Don’t kid yourself. If that were to occur, it would be far closer to the Irish Troubles or the Rwandan genocide. No borders, no frontlines, neighbor against neighbor, family members at each other’s throats. Some (including me) have said it would be rural against urban, but that is way to simplified. There are lots of urban MAGAts, and lots or rural libs. There will be no safe place. Best is to make the vote so overwhelming that they cannot seriously claim fraud, a true Blue Wave to wash the shit out of the stables once and for all. Then hunker down and be ready. Ain’t no easy meat here, my friend.

47 Likes

I don’t see it happening that way, friend. : ) I could go into a bunch of reasons why, and we could back and forth about that. But ultimately it will be how it will be.

In all cases, I do definitely agree we should be ready for that possibility too. As I said:

We should absolutely pay attention and be ready.

1 Like

Fearmongering to sell magazines, who’d a thunk?

That said, stay vigilant and be prepared for anything.

Fearmongering is why many of those people are so damn angry.

8 Likes

I certainly hope you are right, and I did say “if that were to occur…” I am mostly advising against complacency. That is the killer in the dark.

20 Likes

Tell that to the people who lost family members on Jan. 6th… People do not need to be in good health and be particularly strategic or brave to hurt a whole lot of people…

lady gaga applause GIF

Exactly. They want violence either way.

Again, they DID cause damage on Jan. 6th. They came very close to getting and KILLING the sitting VP at the time. Given the right opportunity they will cause more damage and that’s not “fearmongering” that is very much taking an actual threat seriously.

Sadly true. The movement has to be both rejected at the ballot box and taken seriously as a violent threat to the country.

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

We got to stand up to these fuckers and they have to have yet more consequences for their actions.

28 Likes

The same holds true for the capital security.

Another conflict like the last one is not going to be replay of the first event for anyone.

Assuming anyone is ignoring that the last set of people who ended up in jail and tries again.

It will be sad if another event is forced to play out.

10 Likes

It does seem that there is generally less overt RW marches and whatnot lately. Did the J6 arrests take the knees out from their movement?

6 Likes

Events are not “forced to play out”… people make choices which lead events in particular direction. This is not inevitable, but we should not pretend like it’s not a distinct possibility, which ever way the election goes and that it’s not rooted in people making choices about their actions. We’re less likely to see violence IF law enforcement and those of us who don’t want violence make it crystal clear that there will be consequences for violence. But we’re not all standing outside the flow of history, or history isn’t something happening TO us, it’s the choices people make that are history.

There is STILL acts of violence happening, though. We relax at our peril.

20 Likes