If you bake, you need a non-stick silicone baking mat

Same here, but I use parchment paper instead. Instant clean up! (Just toss it in the compost bin.)

2 Likes

Me too!

1 Like

So is silicone safe?

BPA isn’t an issue I guess. But could something else be transferrred into your food?

2 Likes

If you remove the silicone item directly from the stove at temperatures over 150 degrees and then put it on your face, it could hurt a lot. Like, really a lot. So mostly safe.

3 Likes

Same here - parchment paper FTW.

However, I do like using a large silicone mat for working with highly buttery/eggy doughs that I wouldn’t want to put on my wooden pastry board.

I have a free plastic “cutting board” (very thin and flexible) given as a product freebie advertising a soy sauce line which works almost as well, and it’s stiff enough to stand up in the dishwasher. Plus, did I mention it was free? :wink: But yeah, I can see a silicone mat being perfect for that use…as long as you don’t know my friend! I swear, she would find a reason to use a sharp knife to cut through dough. Some people should not be allowed in a kitchen.

1 Like

I don’t understand. Most things I bake are well under the temperature tolerance of silpats. You get pretty good Maillard reactions below 480F. I think the only thing I do over that temperature is pizza, and I have a stone for that anyway.

2 Likes

So . . . I already wash my good knives and bamboo cutting boards in the sink, then dry them thoroughly before storing. No problem to add one more item. That’s how good cooks and chefs operate. You buy good stuff, and you take good care of it. “Energy/time efficiency” isn’t a consideration.

My mats spend their time sandwiched in between said cutting boards in a vertical rack. They may get droopy hanging there, but I’ve never had a problem with them not laying flat or holding their shape.

They tell you up front not to cut on the mats. I never consider the idea of “friends in the kitchen killing my stuff” when I purchase kitchen goods. Next time she ruins something in your kitchen, let her know she’ll be replacing the item. And you should possibly NOT be leaving baked goods on the mats anyway.

1 Like

One other comment. To store these, roll them up and put in a used paper towel cylinder

4 Likes

He does! That and flat rocks. And he only cooks over fires started by lightning, or lava flows.

2 Likes

@frauenfelder I use one of these every time I bake cookies. It has lasted years.

1 Like

Thank you for the Zagat non-rating; at least now I know I’m not a good cook/chef. I’d always wondered.

I didn’t say I chose not to replace the Silpats because I was worried they would be ruined again, just that the fact they were ruined put me in the position of having to consider whether or not to shell out the money again, and for me they weren’t worth the extra money and effort.

If someone helps me out by pulling something out of the oven for me, I say “thank you”, not “you’d better pay for that”. Guess I don’t understand what a good friend is either, huh?

1 Like

Ha, just got some super sized ones… which are slightly too big for our commercial ovens. If anyone is in the Culver City CA area then you should check out Surfas, which is a bad-for-wallet but oh-god-I-need-that kind of place.

I’m with you on that. They’re nice and all, but I’ve always got baking parchment in the house and it’s a bit more multi-purpose for me. I use public BBQs a fair bit and it makes brilliant BBQ liner.

+1.
I’ve broken plenty of my mates stuff over the years, as they have done to mine. I apologise and offer to replace, they refuse, we move on. It’s not about the money or the stuff, it’s about making sure mutual respect is satisfied. I’d hate to be that parsimonious that I’d value a few dollars over a friendship.

2 Likes

I never said you weren’t a good cook. But like any other business or trade, you take care of your tools. Paint brushes, drills, chainsaws, baking mats; whatever you use. Keep them clean and in good repair. Don’t depend on a dishwasher to do all the work.

As far as the friend, you said, "I have a friend who makes herself at home in my kitchen despite having no business being there . . . " That didn’t sound like someone being helpful; it sounded like someone being intrusive and a bit reckless. My opinion was that if a friend damages something due to carelessness, they should be expected to pay for it. Not you. I do have good friends, and if they want to help in the kitchen they obey The Rules of The Kitchen. I would expect to do the same thing in someone else’s home. If you ruined a piece of cooking gear at a friend’s house, wouldn’t you volunteer to replace it?

PRE-CUT parchment paper has been a game-changer for me. Silicone is useful for sticky sugary baking, but for most baking and definitely for roasting, pre-cut parchment is so much easier. Last time I bought some, they were $20 for 100: 20 cents cheap! Silicone pads never clean up nicely-- always feel slimy and dirty.

3 Likes

@frauenfelder
Here’s a concept for a project for kids with the mat.

Use a gummy bear recipe (as I mentioned upstream)

That’s a good base recipe.
Then make multiple colors and use the sheet as a way to draw things (like the artistic pancake we’ve seen here)…on the sheet with plastic squeeze bottles.
Make gummy flowers, gummy animals, gummy art.

You could also use fruit juiced based flavors instead of Drink mix or jello…and add powdered Vitamin C for some sour.

And you should have citric acid on hand to make homemade Alkaseltzer…and for rinsing sprouts to keep mold from forming. I use that as a final dusting to adjust the sour to taste.

Cook’s Illustrated tested these things. They noted that all of them eventually acquire burned on food that then flavors whatever else you cook, the painted border eventually flakes off, if you ever develop a crack you have to throw them away due to the fiberglass matrix inside, and decided that they are all unacceptable. They recommended just using parchment paper. Since a half sheet pan of parchment costs about a dime, you can by an awful lot of parchment for the cost of these mats. I must say, having lived with a pair of these, I agree. Mine look like dalmatians from all the burned on shit.

2 Likes

Do not, under any circumstances, inject it under the skin.

2 Likes

Christopher’s Kimball’s Vermont notes, FTW. It’s like a written, more crotchety, more eastern :Lake Woebegone