Silicone mini-pinch bowls have 101 uses

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/08/silicone-mini-pinch-bowls.html

2 Likes

I own two sets and gave a third away as a gift. They are flexible, resilient, heat-tolerant to 500F, and easy to clean. Only thing they aren’t is parrot-proof.

3 Likes

I’ve got a set of 8 Anchor Hocking commercial-grade ramekins (which clueless people sometimes call “custard cups”), and use for the same purposes. Great for pre-measuring ingredients and prepping items. When I make poached eggs, I crack each egg into a separate ramekin, so I can quickly add them all to the pre-heated poaching cups, since the timing is critical. And unlike these little pieces of silicone, they don’t go flying around in the dishwasher.

2 Likes

I found a nice set of ramekins at a thrift shop, and use them for hte same chores.

Also, for holding individual servings of nice dense chocolate pudding.

I could see getting a set of these silicone cups for ingredient pouring.

Can they be microwaved?

1 Like

We have a few of these around the house, and use them all the time. I think the most unusual thing I’ve done with them is make large I’ve cubes ro put in iced tea pitchers.

1 Like

Can silicone be recycled?

1 Like

Yes. They grind it up and redissolve it in various ways to make other stuff.

2 Likes

That is 260 'C, and that is quite above what’s needed for melting tin-lead solder and hot-melt adhesives. The silicone is chemically resistant enough to withstand most of common fluxes.

This adds to the possible uses.

4 Likes

I use them when I rehydrate dried mushrooms. Simply pop the mushrooms in a coffee mug, pour in boiling water then pop of these suckers on the top. to keep the mushrooms from floating. They hydrate much faster that way and much more evenly.

3 Likes

It looks like most of that could be done with individual silicone muffin cups, although the shape would have some disadvantages compared to the half sphere shaped bowls.

3 Likes

to measure the bulk powder supplements I take ( ACROSS THE BORDER )

2 Likes

Here on Amazon Germany they are 72 EUR (approx. 80 USD) for 4 items:

Now that’s cheap!

Pour contents of jar of olives, capers, etc., into bowl. Pinch and pour the liquid back in the jar.

4 Likes

I have a set, but I seldom get to use them in the kitchen - my daughter has reserved them as bath toys.

5 Likes

I have a set of 4 - and also a set of 12 silicone muffin cups. The muffin cups hold less, and have much thinner sides.

Of course, I use both to hold various board game pieces while we play board games, so my requirements might be a little different than most folks… both work great for varying tasks. They make putting the game away easy too, as you can pinch them to form a “spout” (as shown previously), for pouring pieces/chits back into their storage containers. Also, if they get dirty, they are easy to clean.

1 Like

They most certainly can. I melt butter routinely in mine.

2 Likes

I gotta admit, I’m a tad disappointed. 14 comments in, not one person asked about the parrot.

5 Likes

That sort of thing is old hat around here pal.

2 Likes

There are very few items that are parrot-proof.

4 Likes

I used to have a nice collection of books that didn’t have beak bites.

5 Likes