If you guessed "possible armed conflict between Britain & France over fishing rights" in our Brexit guessing game come get your prize

6 Likes

Ooh, what are the bookkeepers’ odds on which country will win? /s, but wouldn’t be surprised…

1 Like

Honestly, it would probably end up being France. They spend .2% more of their gdp than the UK does on the military and the EU has significantly more incentive to back a member state than a former member state who loves to throw hissy fits.

10 Likes

Current strategic arsenal: 280 usable warheads

Current strategic arsenal: 120 usable warheads

2 Likes

France would win, because the Tories would probably misjudge the threat and get the surviving cast members of Dad’s Army to fight against them for the “inevitable” PR win.

9 Likes

I don’t follow UK politics all that closely but, how would you think the SNP would react to this? I heard that the scots got shafted when Brexit kicked the crap out of their fishing industry. I have no idea how they would feel if their sons had to go fight in an armed conflict over fishing rights in an area a few kilometers away from France.

3 Likes

The SNP feel like they are trying to be the only adults in the room (some of the minor parties would also be adults, but no one pays any attention to them). Brexit wasn’t the first time they were shafted by Westminster and it won’t be the last, so it is just an escalation of business as usual for them.

4 Likes

Puh-leeze. This is not an armed conflict, it’s a French civil protest akin to truck drivers blocking a port which the English Tory party regime roped their armed forces into as a political stunt for the election day.
As I said when the Tory press tried to start a war with Spain: they prove with one satiric touch that no nation wants the EU so much.

8 Likes

France and the EU may not want a war, but I am concerned that some of the Tories and British media do.

10 Likes

The EU is ALL about not having wars. By jingo does that not apply to the Tory press.

But they have been threatening war with various parties since 2016 at this stage, it, like all Brexit rhetoric, is for the home audience. Obviously they could talk themselves into it.

8 Likes

Biden and the dems in congress already threatened to refuse a trade deal with the UK over the Irish back stop. And that was before the US election was over. I doubt they’d respond any better to saber rattling against the EU.

The UK is trying REAL had to fuck themselves in butt.

6 Likes

One of them would have to leave NATO first.

2 Likes

It’ll be Britain. You know it is true.

5 Likes
8 Likes

Won’t the UK be automatically back in NATO when it becomes officially the 51st state?

On the other hand, we could really mix things up and swap the UK for Ukraine…

2 Likes

It’s just the first step in rebuilding the British Empire, and it’s totally not the US humouring the fringe voters in their newest state.

2 Likes

Rebuilding the… with what? Bits of string and sealing wax?
Oh wait, I forgot about the jet packs…

2 Likes

They won the Second World War with Spitfires, and they can do it again.

The sad thing is that there are people here who genuinely think like that, and they have the government they want.

9 Likes

Nonsense, this is all Project Fear! Those aren’t gunboats, it’s just swamp gas refracting the light of Venus or something.

4 Likes

What is this Second World War?

Are you referring to The War? Or perhaps The Blitz.

Let’s talk about it like it happened recently, rather than decades before we were born.

Spitfire.

Churchill.

STIFF UPPER LIP

Ball Lightning.

4 Likes