If you guessed "possible armed conflict between Britain & France over fishing rights" in our Brexit guessing game come get your prize

Obviously what this really is is French fishermen doing French fishermen stuff and the Tory press/government complex doing Tory stuff, so there wouldn’t be any war but that said Western Europe has prevailing westerly winds. That alone is a reason the French would never nuke the UK. On the other hand the French actually have the ignition keys to their nukes…

4 Likes
2 Likes

Gosh, this is just a replay of some 400 years of British-French relations.

4 Likes

Could one of these fishy incidents escalate into a real conflict?

1 Like

Realistically no. But the English Tory party has abandoned reality years ago. It should be noted that “cod” is a term for joke or fake in English and I don’t doubt that was part of the etymology.

Iceland has a tiny population without a militarised navy, some patrol vessels not intended for destroying other vessels, but the British navy didn’t actually try to sink anything either. As I recall the modern ships the English were using tended to suffer more expensive damage when they were running into each other than the old… well hulks is a bit strong but I don’t know what the sea word is for a junker, that the Icelanders used.

4 Likes

If you guessed “possible armed conflict between Britain & France over fishing rights” in our Brexit guessing game come get your prize

Who wouldn’t guess that… since ‘possible’ includes both outcomes?

Ah, now I understand “codpiece”.

5 Likes

There was this one too:

3 Likes

Wait. Halibut are nothing like turbot. Actually I have a story about the groups of fish that get partially translated into different things in various European languages but it’s too long, confusing, and I’m too confused to type it here. Suffice to say if you use an intermediary language you have no real way of knowing what you get when you order.

Never heard of that though European boats fished Newfoundland to ruin from at least the 16th century. It’s why salt cod is poor people food in most of Europe. For some reason we didn’t salt cod much here. I do think they Newfoundland fisherman in ireland sold to the Basque though.

Oh, and thanks, I’d never heard of that one.

TIL Ireland was on Canada’s side in the “turbot war”.

3 Likes

And the Cherbourg Incident and the Scallop Conflict.

1 Like

Jim Bergerac is being suspiciously silent.

3 Likes

So is Will Smith…

2 Likes

That term always reminds me of:

Horoscope for the week of February 28, 2012

Capricorn | Dec. 22 to Jan. 19
For the last time, that’s not “ball lightning.” It’s a form of static electricity unique to your unusually hirsute groin.

source: Horoscope for the week of February 28, 2012

5 Likes

“The Auld Alliance”, spit! Back then, the Scots were shafted by France as often as by England. The only time France cared about Scotland was when they needed a diversion in the north.

1 Like

Wasn’t the US remake of Bergerac called “Jersey Shore”?

2 Likes

We’ll find out who is really in NATO anymore when Russia invades Estonia

4 Likes

So, never.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.