If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

The sun has drifted North, no longer setting in line with street. Furthermore, clouds increasingly unlikely for the next two months. Might be the last for a while.

12 Likes

Internet find:

19 Likes

OMG, Clifford?!?
:cry:

source.

14 Likes

While looking a recipe for microwaving corn-on-the-cob, (wrap in wet paper towel for five minutes) I found this bit of wrong advice from a sponsor.

9 Likes

I trim the stem end flush to the cob and leave it in the husk and microwave it on high for 2-3 minutes per ear, depending on the size of the ear and how strong your microwave is. Pull the husk and silk off, butter and enjoy. I learned this from a sweet corn farmer in Indiana one summer. It works great for up to 6 ears in my microwave.

10 Likes

Saw one again yesterday. I think it was, in fact, a green heron.

12 Likes

Definitely feels like a juvenile. I think you’re right about the coloring being a green heron. The second one is the same bird from a different angle, right?

7 Likes

Yep before I inadvertently frightened it into the tree…

EDIT: Forgot to mention the reddish neck that stretched out when it flew to the tree (but I didn’t get a photo of that).

7 Likes

I wonder how he got petrified… I don’t remember that book. :pleading_face:

8 Likes

The company no longer exists (since at least 10 or 15 years ago) but presumably trespassing is still prohibited. I don’t know why this artifact fascinated me.

The same property used to have a fire tower on it until it was sold (given?) back to the Univ. of Maryland whence it came. Usually I’d associate fire towers with rural settings, but I guess any place might want to watch out for wildfires.

EDIT: There’s a Litton Rd. a few blocks away; not sure if it’s the same Litton, but it does not lead directly to this place. Maybe Litton was further-flung around here at one point.

8 Likes

Sure looks like a green heron to me

5 Likes

Spiderwort! I love these:

12 Likes

Come on over and take all you want!

That stuff is (one of the many things) taking over my yard and is a pain in the ass to weed out.

12 Likes

Here’s a gaggle with some goslings, in front of that “no trespassing” sign from the other day.

And the foundation of that fire tower’s still visible:

Here’s a pen (I guess?) for testing UAVs. Police were there today which is the first time I’ve seen anyone here:

And a typical denizen of this vicinty:

14 Likes

If you rip out Star of Bethlehem everywhere you see it, you will only have enough to be attractive flowers in the spring. Or at least that’s how it is here… extremely aggressive. I tear out four or five 5 gallon buckets full every spring. (It is not, however, as awful as the dreaded Lesser Celandine, which I go after with the flamethrower.)

5 Likes

Seems familiar…

As for the Star of Bethlehem, I’d only seen a single plant in a neighbor’s yard, and the couple where I took that picture. So far.

3 Likes

Spotted this old Ford yesterday, while running an errand to a friend’s house. According to my dad (who would know such things, having grown up working in my grandfather’s garage) it’s from 1955, and was Ford’s first OHC V8.

Not really sure but that “Ford-O-Matic” may have been a 2-speed(?!) – Dad thinks probably 3. (Though “The Early Chevy hydra glide might have had 2 ?”)

The car would’ve already been a classic whenever this was placed:

On the way there, I saw the following on a vanity plate:

W8G4GDO

12 Likes

A few days ago on the James River just outside Jamestown. Digitally untouched.

13 Likes

Nice – Is that from the ferry or were you self-boating? :grin: (Or neither?)

We’ve been wanting to get back down there, once things begin to reopen. (Maybe they have, in that area?) Chippokes is a nice place to camp (and I say that as someone who’s not thrilled about camping) but mainly we want the strawberry ice cream from the nearby strawberry patch.

3 Likes

Our boat. That damn ferry’s wake kept us up when anchored by the Jamestown settlement so we moved next to the park the following day. My daughter found a Megalodon tooth on the seawall! Not much is open now and we are continuing North into the Great Lakes. It sure is a nice spot, hopefully, next time we can check out Williamsburg.

6 Likes