If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

Okay photoshoppers and deepfakers, you have your mission.

I’m unclear on which one was supposed to replace Nicole Kidman; I leave that up to you.

6 Likes

Kiddo was watching our backyard hummingbird feeder and mused aloud, “It’s a good thing hummingbirds are so small. Otherwise we’d be in trouble.”

15 Likes

That was great!

6 Likes

Radar says the rain will fucking miss us.

15 Likes

Megarhyssa macrurus (common name giant ichneumon wasp), found inside our house

12 Likes

Oh yes, they are territorial and vicious little bastards. I still like 'em

10 Likes

I think the field guide refers to hummingbirds as “pugnacious.” They’re neither docile nor timid. Hummingbird flew right up while I took these:

Black swallowtail, I believe :arrow_up:

ETA:
And some monarchs :arrow_down:

17 Likes

I have a lot of milkweed that appeared in one section of my yard a couple years ago, but I have yet to see any monarch (or other) caterpillars on it. Any idea if I bought some monarch eggs next year and “seeded” them onto the plants, would they survive?

The bees and other buzzing pollinators love the blossoms, which is nice too.

8 Likes

I didn’t know that was possible… it took at least a year or two before I noticed any larvae in my yard. This year there’ve been more adults. There’s a newer patch where I haven’t noticed any, yet.

10 Likes

As mentioned above, hummingbirds can be bastards!

ETA this guy spends a lot of time perched in the bush about foot and a half under the feeder just waiting to sneak attack the others.

15 Likes

13 Likes

Dine-in I take it?

6 Likes

These extremely small acorns are currently peppering our back yard.

19 Likes

But they are so cute!

17 Likes

I have no idea why am I posting this… Helsinki, Finland yesterday.

Reminds me of this wristwatch “At the President’s Pleasure” by Svend Andersen Geneve, “Eros, No. 138” (sold for HKD 264,000) NSFW:
https://catalog.antiquorum.swiss/en/lots/svend-andersen-lot-237-69

Remember he’s a war criminal and alleged rapist.

11 Likes

We’re gonna be cleaning all the whiteboards in a 10 story building. This is about 1/10th of one floor. Counted 20 Whiteboards in this photo’s FOV. They’ve all been left to stain since early March.

14 Likes

Someone’s watching…

8 Likes

A blusterous sunrise.

19 Likes

Skies.

No rain. One of the weather forecasting apps is guaranteeing rain for today, but I could have had the solar oven out.

19 Likes

The wings on this (and relatively narrow waist) make me think it’s a wasp, but it’s otherwise the same size and shape of a bee. If it is a bee, it looks like a badass:

I might’ve guessed a carpenter bee, but I thought those were larger, and this had no discernible yellow on it at all. (Also no discernible hair/fur.)

This was in the same patch of milkweed where I took pictures of monarch larvae the other day; those have apparently moved off to pupate as they were quite large when I last saw one a couple of days ago. In fact, this one was moving off of the milkweed into the Japanese holly, which I don’t believe they’d otherwise care about, so maybe it left to go find its spot:

17 Likes