If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

Another pop-up drive-in movie, with lots of tech problems. But it worked!

Funny that just one of the many problems was focus. The movie? Hocus Pocus.

19 Likes

Wooly worm (Pyrrharctia isabella).

The wide brown band forecasts a mild winter.

ETA the Wikipedia article has this to say:

The banded woolly bear larva emerges from the egg in the fall and overwinters in its caterpillar form, when it literally freezes solid. First its heart stops beating, then its gut freezes, then its blood, followed by the rest of the body. It survives being frozen by producing a cryoprotectant in its tissues. In the spring it thaws.

18 Likes

Excellent widow display down the street

I don’t agree with the message per se, but definitely dig the Yippie sense of humor:

ETA: Note the Life magazine cover, especially.

12 Likes

The font and red print makes it look like almost exactly like Target-branded merchandise.

Although it could’ve been from an MLM party (see upthread).

3 Likes

hF9735AD0

11 Likes

Then I’m surprised it isn’t sold by the keg.

4 Likes

Mushrooms outside the office.

16 Likes
12 Likes

11 Likes

In Wichita, there used to be a family-owned restaurant called Furr’s, and the airport location had a couple casts like these in the yard. As kids, we’d sit on them like horses. More easily scaleable than Big Boy.

7 Likes

Thanks for reminding me of cats. I think there are a pair of cast cats not far from this location.
:smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

7 Likes

Speaking of fungi, we recently had a couple of dying trees removed in our garden, and a couple days afterward, I pulled up a strange object near one of the stumps. It looked like a rock, and was stuck in the ground like a rock. Here it is at the bottom of the frame:

It’s really dense and hard, yet evidently it grew around these bits of vine without killing it:

Looks like a rock or burl on top, very smooth and solid. No gills or anything:

Any ideas what this might be? I’ve googled to no avail.

ETA the ruler is blurry, but it’s maybe 8" or 20cm in size.

9 Likes

It looks like Chaga to me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inonotus_obliquus

8 Likes

Hmm, wong part of the world, but I think you’re on to something. It could be a sclerotium such as that of Wolfiporia extensa. More research required…

9 Likes

Maybe Pisolithus tinctorius or Pisolithus arrhizus Grows on or around tree roots. Also called the dog poop fingus, dyeball fungus, or dead man’s foot. Pics in the articles below.

7 Likes

15 Likes

Cessna 120, 70 years old or more (assuming it isn’t a replica).

EDIT: Looked it up and it’s the real deal, built 1946.

19 Likes

20 Likes

More from the same airport:

A GA8 Airvan. <kvell> Our 10th-grader is in the co-pilot’s seat today. </kvell>

ETA:

16 Likes

23 Likes