If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

January 2021 Hanasaari [faucet Island] coal stockpile behind it coal-fired cogeneration power plant shutting down in 2024. There used to be ice…

20 years ago around the same area:

13 Likes

Corkscrew Mesquite

16 Likes

that’s pretty cool.
in all my years in Texas and Arizona, I don’t think I have ever seen that. I have made mesquite-bean-flour pancakes that were tasty. can you grind these up and use them like that?
edit: those are the bean pods, yes? they look kind of like rattlesnake rattlers!

9 Likes

I don’t know about that. Not enough around to be worth trying I imagine.

Yep. At first I thought it might be some kind of gall.

8 Likes

“not enough around”
that may explain some things (like me never encountering even one)
reckon it’s a local thing to S. AZ?
my outdooring was spent mostly on the upper Salt River in the Superstitions, fishing, hiking, camping. very interesting and thanks for posting the pic!

6 Likes

Central Texas was covered in snow Sunday. Our area, nearish Austin, received around 2.5 inches. This area hasn’t seen that much snow for decades. It was awesome and made our kid really happy.

17 Likes

Haha. The head fell down and the nose broke into pieces!

15 Likes

my sis down in aggieland and her two kids made a “slushman”! ha! wet, sloppy snow all the way down in College Station!

8 Likes

18 Likes

Some kind of arcane, after-hours load balancing ritual, I think…

16 Likes

We don’t kink shame here, though admittedly they’re doing it out in the middle of the road.

15 Likes

https://radio.azpm.org/s/42678-feeding-our-future-harvesting-the-desert/

https://harvestingthedesert.org/how-we-run-mesquite-millings/time-volume-value-of-pod-harvests/

Brad Lancaster (in Tucson, AZ) is a treasure, and he knows so much about arid climates.

If you live in Arizona and are near one of his workshops, I highly recommend him as a teacher and native foods (of the Sonoran Desert) trailblazer. I have taken several of his workshops.

11 Likes

I met that guy ages ago on a college trip to Arizona! I’m so glad he’s still doing his thing. Our class was focused on ecological building design, but we stopped at his place for some sustainable food discussions and he served us dumpster dived chips and other snacks. And showed us his urban permaculture. Great memories. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

Madam Mrs the Ratel is at this moment in a Zoom lecture on “Mesquite, A Multipurpose Tree Crop For Agroforestry In The SW”.

11 Likes
8 Likes

Today 1:39 PM Gulf of Finland as seen from Eteläinen Uunisaari (Southern Oven Island), Helsinki, Finland.

20 Likes

A beached manatee and its babies, I think. A little on the skinny side

17 Likes

Beautiful!

What time does the sun rise and set during this time of year in Finland? I know the days are hella-short…

9 Likes

Today:
Farthest south Utö 9.17 AM to 4.12 PM beyond that there is Bogskär but I can’t find info on it.
Farthest north Nuorgam 11.55 AM to 12.43 AM. Nourgam has a polar night between 11.25.-1.17. and polar day between 5.16-7.29.

9 Likes

Wow… that’s amazing and hard to wrap my head around.

5 Likes