If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

11 Likes

PS!! Laziness is not a disability!

17 Likes

I keep stopping on that kid’s gargantuan head

3 Likes

A garden ball in the park “Public Water: Watershed Core” by Mary Mattingly.

16 Likes

I saw the big cat in Shinjuku yesterday.
A lot of people gathering all around the station exit waiting to take pictures. It was hot and humid and too many people around to jockey for better positioning. Not yet sure where the “sweet spot” is (you can easily see geometry distortion in the corner there)

One interesting thing about the cat: it talks.
Very hard to hear most of the dialogue, but at the end I can hear the cat mentioning the current temperature. (hope this video upload works)

19 Likes

What is the 00;00;00;21 on the bottom of the screen at the end of the video?

3 Likes

I have no idea. I saw it occur only ever after the cat displayed and it was accompanied by what appeared to just be random imagery. After that, it just goes into normal commercials (including an HP one that features Christian Slater). So to my naive eyes it appears to measure “time between cat and paid advertisement” which I imagine they want to minimize. The board is brand new, so maybe this helps them work out kinks in the display system?

3 Likes

What about the dalmatian dog in the upper right corner? Is that also 3-D?

3 Likes

No. In fact I think it is just a paper billboard.

3 Likes

50 year old hotel is burning 8km away.

11 Likes

9 Likes

I saw what looked like (and turned out to be) a 767 in the approach pattern to Andrews (ADW) – the planes always come in differently there, i.e. lower altitude then they’d be that far away from a commercial airport. (As a bit of an avgeek I notice stuff like this; when I’ve asked a pilot about the low approach no one could (or would) explain why that is.)

That 767 isn’t something that one would see every day, heading into ADW. When I was able to pull over, I looked up the flight and realized I don’t see that every day, either…

16 Likes

The picture kind of drains a lot of the drama from the scene, but from the bottom of the hill it really looked like someone had gone all Thelma and Louise with the well-drilling truck.

15 Likes

18 Likes

I’m not sure what this is, but it looked like a flying shrimp. It landed in the begonias.

17 Likes

Ceiling of a used bookshop in Helsinki, Finland.

20 Likes

Take me to your leader!

5 Likes

Reading an old mystery (Erle Stanley Gardner, The Case of the Lame Canary), ran across this passage:

Mason said, “That’s the puzzling part of it, Della. He should have been the murderer instead of the corpse.”

“This,” Della Street pointed out, “isn’t getting us any nearer China.”

“I think it is,” Mason said thoughtfully. “It sounds foolish, and yet I think it’s getting me some place. It’s paradoxical. The man who was murdered isn’t the man who was murdered, but the man who committed the murder. Now, if we can follow that contradictory premise through to a logical conclusion, Della, we’re certainly going to be one jump ahead of the police, because that’s a starting point of deductive reasoning which would never suggest itself to them.”

"No, " she admitted a smile, “you win on that.”

A series of knocks sounded on the door which led to the corridor. Mason said, “That’s Paul Drake. Let him in, Della, and see what he wants.”

Della Street crossed the room and opened the door.

"Hello, folks, " Drake said. “What’re you doing?”

“We’re engaging in a new form of logic,” Della answered a grin. “It’s swell. It solves murders and everything.”

"Gimme, " Drake said, entering the room.

“Well, it goes like this,” Della said. "Because you’ve come in the room, you must have been the person going out of the room. Therefore, having gone out of the room while you were coming into the room, someone who saw you in the corridor coming into the room, would have you were going out of the room, and - "

“Oh, I see,” Drake said, “like a puppy chasing his tail, huh?”

“Exactly,” Della agreed, "only the puppy catches his tail. Then, having swallowed himself, he becomes, so to speak, completely self-contained. "

9 Likes

Old Land Rover. Kaisaniemenranta Helsinki, Finland.

19 Likes

outstanding!
love that old Willis-style boxy look of the Rover.
even more outstanding is that gorgeous wooden boat! what a beauty!

9 Likes