If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

Empire State Building at sunset, looking south, but the absolute best part isn’t in the photo—one of the resident peregrine falcons made several passes along the east and southeast sides of the 102nd floor observation deck!
The attendant said there are three nesting pairs above the 102nd floor and another pair down lower around the 86th floor observation level.
Bird nerd happiness!

18 Likes

Wish I could say I saw this myself, but… stolen from twitter.

19 Likes

Maybe stick in the crypto thread? Or the odd stuff thread? Just a thought

5 Likes

Pensacola Airport

All the gates have a sci-fi theme, but the Tardis with Stargate doesnt look right.

17 Likes

Odd sticker

I think it is referring to this? https://getburro.com/

5 Likes

winona-ryder-confused-maths

8 Likes

Exactly. I pass it 5 days a week lately and still have so many questions!

5 Likes

Since we don’t have a dedicated banana thread. Just look at it:

(This is competing to be Norway’s entry in the next Eurovision context. NRK rightly called it the worst entry.)

10 Likes

“Not sure I told you, but I really like your teeth.
That hairy coat of yours with nothing underneath.
Not sure you have a name so I will call you Keith.”

And that’s where I lost it.

Then it gets worse.

4 Likes

Smeared pink sunset, like a child titan was finger painting with clouds.

Colors as displayed on my screen are accurate to what I saw

14 Likes

The link I gave is to the milder live performance video. The ‘official’ video is genuinely bonkers.

2 Likes

Wow! Usually I’m pleased when there’s only ONE sign that says “Spain!”

That said, I didn’t find anything too special among the wines. They did have armagnac, which isn’t easy to come by around here (and thanks to someone on the BBS for hipping me to armagnac in the 1st place)

15 Likes

Might have been me, because it’s a point I have a tendency to make whenever conversation starts about cognac.

Nothing wrong with cognac – of course! – but if you go next door you get the same quality for much less, and/or much better quality for the same price.

7 Likes

So far, that’s been the case… if there’s inexpensive armagnac, I’ve yet to find it around here. The clerk who helped me out yesterday also recommended Camus cognac.

(Better store than the other place I mentioned way upthread)

4 Likes

War has been on my mind lately (for some reason), so here’s some photos of war scarred buildings in Vilnius I’ve collected over the years. Most of these are probably from 1944, when the Red Army “liberated” the city from Nazi occupation - the city had changed hands on multiple prior occasions, but mostly without serious combat (including when the Red Army originally retreated from the incoming Nazis in 1941).

21 Likes

Update: they won.

3 Likes

I…wow.

It must have been that sexy ear-shake at 2:34 that did it :laughing:

3 Likes

Finland wins Olympic gold in ice hockey so we think “Let’s get drunk and fuck with this old statue!”.

16 Likes

While I share concerns for the statue, after reading the Wikipedia page, I also really like how it is obviously beloved by everyone.

Also, I dig this picture:

5 Likes

What is the translation for the nickname “Haaviston Manta” or “Havis Amanda”?

Wikipedia was no help in explaining WHY the statue isn’t called by the name the sculptor gave it.

5 Likes