If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

19 Likes

We get sparrows, house finches, cardinals, darke-eyed juncos, mourning doves, black-cap chickadees and small downy woodpeckers throughout the winter. Nuthatches are around too.

In the spring we get robins, grackles, cowbirds, goldfinches and blue jays. The Grosbeaks only pass through for a day or two. Some ducks usually hang around in the spring too. Occasionally wrens come by but they are usually heard, not seen.

ETA: Red-shoulder blackbirds make a racket all day long too!

For raptors we have great horned owls, red tailed hawks and coopers hawks.

10 Likes

got our first returning red winged blackbird at the feeder today! they pass through and eat up on the sunflowes I put out for the cardinals and other birdies.
usuals are - always - bluejays, dove and red-belly woodpeckers who all prefer the peanuts to the sunflower.
and squirrels.
loves me some squirrels.
eta: heard the song of a mockingbird for the first time around the homestead. so beautiful! not like the vocalizations of the jays. I did actually see a mockingbird down in Marathon just a week ago. I do hope they will stay!

9 Likes

We have so many mockingbirds. Also cardinals, robins, bluejays, various finches and warblers. The yellow cheek warblers are very cute but rare. No mourning doves yet, but they will arrive soon as well as the swallows. For raptors, mostly hawks. I can never get a good look but I think they are red-tailed. Saw one flying off with a snake once! Tons of grackles at the nearby shopping areas but not a whole lot here.

8 Likes

Alright, more bird photos.

Oh wow this has got to be a raven… It’s way bigger than a crow; this birdbath is like 18 or 20" across.

ETA: I figured they must be around here, but I don’t think I’d ever been close enough to one to tell whether it was a crow or not. We rarely, if ever, get crows in the (wooded) backyard. I’m pretty sure it was a raven yelling at me in the Apr. 2019(?!) post upthread.

18 Likes

Two aspects stand out:

• The tail is pointed, not flat across;
  • The beak is very big and thick.

So yeah, I think you’re right!

13 Likes

Also it kind of has what the field guide calls a “goiter.”

And while I’m at it, also from today:

12 Likes

21 Likes

What is the tiny log cabin for?

7 Likes

tweeting booth?

8 Likes

Lettering Denyse Mitterhofer GIF by Denyse®

4 Likes
13 Likes

So a tiny log cabin to hide food from bears! Um, but it doesn’t look very bear proof. Very cute, but not bear proof

Bear Hie GIF

12 Likes

That was moved to Seurasaari Open-Air Museum in 1928 and it was old then so I guess it was bear proof.

9 Likes

Yes, but the phone booth is less bear proof. :wink:

4 Likes

They might be able to climb the log, but they can’t access the food inside. There’s usually a cool little log ladder set up on the end when people need to access it. And you just lay it down nearby when not needed.
The bears can’t set the log up, and the raccoons and crows could probably figure it out, but they aren’t strong enough :wink:
Never been to Finland but saw some kind of like this in Japan.

15 Likes

Oh, I think the perspective in the first one fooled me. It didn’t look high enough to thwart a hungry bear!
ETA I may have calico critter houses on the brain. The little log cabin looked that tiny but must be much bigger!

7 Likes

13 Likes

Now you just need to find me a bear for proper comparison!
flirty wink GIF

That does seem like a very neat museum.

9 Likes

Cyclist on ice.

11 Likes