If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 2)

Cat with a pearl earing

20 Likes

A strikingly handsome utility pole in my neighborhood. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one so pretty.

21 Likes

Speaking of bananas…we just got a UV flashlight.

Just Look at it!

19 Likes

12 Likes

I love old timey scientific instruments. This one measures sunshine hours by burning a line in a special paper strip. It was part of a disused weather station on a farm.

22 Likes

Ooh an old Campbell-Stokes recorder!

14 Likes

Stoked! Now that we know what it is, here’s the wiki:

Note the link shows some at various latitudes including tropical and polar. Neat!

ETA - In case it wasn’t obvious - Thanks goes to @NukeML for the identification. :sun_with_face: :sun_behind_small_cloud: :sunny: :sunglasses: :saluting_face: :parasol_on_ground:

17 Likes

7 Likes

Have a tattoo/Kill your parents.

15 Likes

A mid-century modern public washroom? I can smell it from here.

The question is, should it be preserved?

6 Likes

Baby turtle, baby turtle, baby turtle, doo doo doo doo

14 Likes

Back on above the road again.

14 Likes

When I was a young kid & we lived near LA, we used to often see the Goodyear blimp that was based in Carson. One night (1975-76) we were coming home from LAX, & the blimp was overhead, its animated lights going and flashing the message “welcome home” :open_mouth: It seemingly followed us all the way home.

13 Likes

I’m not sure what I’m looking at, here. I think this was too big for either a Cooper’s or sharp-shinned hawk, so perhaps red-tailed or red-shouldered. The phone’s camera “enhanced” the image, which I think might make it harder to ID.

Also spotted while out on the same post-luncheon constitutional:

17 Likes

ID feature says red-shouldered.

11 Likes

Huh. I’d always thought of red shouldered hawks with more of a cream chest. But while @Gyrofrog camera may have “enhanced” it, some do have a more golden/bronze chest based on Audubon pictures. Pretty birb :blush:

10 Likes

It’s rough, but I was able to undo some of the enhancing.

19 Likes

So, it’s Egyptian in origin?

12 Likes

12 Likes

Bred specifically to make dresses from the plumage.

9 Likes