If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

Thank you! The wiki link was fascinating. Mine was given to me about 12 years ago, without identification. So TIL!

5 Likes

Also @Wayward; yes, looks like a type of daisy to me. Maybe a gerbera (which I believe is also called African daisy)? :thinking::sweat_smile:

5 Likes

This could be a time to remind the class of the difference between Could and Should

5 Likes

Cleaning out my Mother-in-Law’s house who passed away. Found her 1954 year book with prophecies of what the students would be…

She was an exchange student to Mars.

24 Likes

Found a hummingbird nest!

15 Likes

Fire retardant stripe on the western Catalinas

Fire helicopter loading up from Rose Lake:

Second helicopter immediately following:

13 Likes

Violas in Kasarmintori, Helsinki, Finland.

14 Likes

Fishy stuff in Helsinki.

20 Likes

(I knew I had this somewhere…)

6 Likes

Camped for three days near Rose Canyon Lake, helicopters coming by every 20 minutes from about 9 AM to dusk every day. In that time Bighorn Fire has never been more than 10% contained. When we came home (yes, we were camping about 10 miles from home, first camping experience for our 3-year-old) we could now see it from our back yard.

Cell phone though binoculars

(That red thing at the bottom is actually a flower from my wife’s pollinator garden.)

16 Likes

At night the fire becomes obvious (Google “Nightsight” shoots with digital zoom, so crappy), but it is also definitely moving down the mountain.

Ironically, one of my parents’ friends is a veteran firefighter involved with education and planning for the units being brought in to fight this fire. I say ironically because his house is, well hopefully still, just below that fire line on the mountain.

Update:

Further update: wife just in a Zoom meeting with her gardening group ended early because the host got the evacuation order.

17 Likes

Kalasatama, Helsinki yesterday AFAIK Pontiac Star Chief (Fourth generation 1959-1960)

13 Likes

Fragaria vesca, commonly called wild strawberry, woodland strawberry, Alpine strawberry, Carpathian strawberry, European strawberry, or fraisier des bois

11 Likes

From where we are things look mostly extinguished, but I presume the fire must have moved north, behind the peaks we see.

However, it sounds like the foothills communities at the base of the mountain are still under some threat.

12 Likes

10 Likes

15 Likes

Dew in a cobweb this morning.

19 Likes

Ordered some groceries from Target, including zucchini.

Individually wrapped and in a plastic tray twice as big as the squash.

10 Likes

I imagine to both make it easier to pack and to keep it from getting squished.

8 Likes

I guess…every other grocery store seems to manage just fine without any packaging, but vegetables at a Target are probably under different pressures to a grocery store primarily patronized by adults…

8 Likes