If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

There’s a shit-ton of Jugend in Helsinki.

https://art.nouveau.world/helsinki

http://www.artnouveau.eu/en/city.php?id=136

9 Likes

Remarkably not why it doesn’t work.

18 Likes

Same photo taken today. That’s all smoke and haze btw. Not fog

14 Likes

Hey, that’s a Dell Optiplex!

1 Like

Nope. Home build, forget the case brand now.

2 Likes

Ah well, the back of the case reminded me of the old Dells I used to service

1 Like

I have not kept up with what’s left of baseball season this year… Even in a “normal” year I don’t keep up with it. But I can’t remember last time I saw such a lopsided score as this (other than minor-league)

4 Likes

My money is on Grey Tabby.

3 Likes

Wow, that PC is like a history lesson. PS/2, Firewire, and a parallel port for the printer. Guessing 1998?

5 Likes

You obviously don’t follow the Giants.

I think the USB and DVI are just cropped out. I can’t remember clearly now, but I’m pretty confident that it’s post 2006.

FYI: it doesn’t work because I’ve been running it as a file server for a decade plus, but wanted to update a media library app and couldn’t, so I just downloaded the latest Ubuntu upgrader and ran it. After it refused to boot it occurred to me that perhaps it had actually been running Debian. Haven’t had time to even think about it in the following 8 months…how my life goes these days.

3 Likes

All ATL sportsball teams are having a bad year…

I blame 2020.

4 Likes

Here are what I think of as more typical-looking bees, but neither of them are our typical visitors. ( think the second one’s carrying the pollen on its legs)

12 Likes

Testing browser add ons after a reinstall.
Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 3.26.41 PM

16 Likes

Gooseberry attacks are a well-known argumentative fallacy.

13 Likes

Gooseberry attacks are well-known, yes…but how to handle them is still a thorny problem.

13 Likes

Five marks with a Urho-class icebreaker. Urho = brave person and the first name of The Finnish President at the time Urho Kekkonen (he was also on The 500mk bill what do you mean a dictatorship?)

11 Likes

Seems like they missed an opportunity to tessellate those birds, especially since they’re going in two different directions. (I wonder if it would have come too close to copyrights held by the Escher estate?) It is pretty nevertheless. (Maybe better for not being tessellated! The non-bird spaces feel like sky. It looks somewhat like tree-leaves to me. It’s an odd combination of stylized, rigid bird but not completely rigid spacing—I’m not sure why it intrigues me, but it does.)

6 Likes

This one was more common when I was a little.

5 Likes

Ooh, I like the bigger ship on that one, the way it fits the space on the coin.

3 Likes

Impatiens capensis, the orange jewelweed, common jewelweed, spotted jewelweed, or orange balsam. We also call it “touch-me-not”

Some kind of wild lobelia, can’t tell which

Organ pipe mud dauber nests

20 Likes