If you want a British knighthood, just bribe Prince Charles' charity, like this Saudi tycoon did

Any sailor will tell you the sun never set on the British Empire because god cannot trust it in the dark.

3 Likes

You get a Sottish title of Lord for much less. And remember, if it isn’t Scottish, it’s crap!

2 Likes

As a Laird myself, I can concur!

The running joke is that with my purchased Scottish lordship and my Master’s degree, I am allowed to list my title as “Lord and Master”.

4 Likes

No, but they do become privy to an excellent Beef Wellington recipe, in stark contrast to that charlatan “Colonel” Sanders, who refused to divulge his Chicken recipe.

3 Likes

Anyone without British citizenship cannot legally call themselves Sir/Dame, basically.

Sure they can. They just can’t force the UK to recognize that title.

Exhibit A: Sir Mix-a-Lot
sir-mix-a-lot

Exhibit B: Dame Edna
dame-edna

8 Likes

It’s called a “rules-based international order” now

1 Like

Yeah, I think the system works here. Money is retrieved from vain man with excess capital. Money goes to people who need it rather than helping corporate bottom line of Lamborghini. Man receives worthless “title.”

4 Likes

How dare you, sir! We still have literal square miles of overseas territory! Some of it is even inhabited!

5 Likes

In case anyone though that this was a joke, here’s a source.

4 Likes

Honorary because he was a foreigner.

2 Likes

Resist!

6 Likes

OK, I think I understand now; it’s (of course) laid out in the relevant Wikipedia article.

When a British Citizen is appointed to one of the two highest classes of the Order of the British Empire, they become a knight or dame. Appointees who are not British citizens become an honorary knight or honorary dame. The article confused this with the idea that its subject became an “honorary CBE”. He’s an actual CBE and an honorary knight.

It’s like buying an NFT. You pay a lot of money for something of no clear value just to be able to say you own it.

1 Like

I would so do this. I mean, if I had $2M to spare.

Honorary title. Big deal. Bet you can get an honorary PhD from Harvard with the right numbers on a check too.

Put Trump back in office and you can get a Presidential Medal for the right price as well.

1 Like

I’ve got one of these. I think it cost me 50 quid to become a Laird.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.