UK awards knighthood to girlfriend-beating cricketer who complained he'd have to black up to get the honor

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/10/uk-to-knight-girlfriend-beatin.html

5 Likes

Fuck’s sake.
It’s not as though knighthoods have historically been given only to good people, but even so this is egregiously shit.
What a vile little toad.

12 Likes

He’s always been an arsehole - even in the 1970s he was known to be a miserable, racist jackass. Sometimes you can separate the person from their achievements, but in this case I don’t see how you can.

Having said that, if the UK is going to start withdrawing honors for horrible people - that list is going to be very, very long

10 Likes

And who’s saying that’s a bad thing?

11 Likes

I think the queen ought to use that sword to behead one out of every couple dozen knighthood candidates just to make things interesting.

22 Likes

And it’s all well and good to separate a person from their work, but knighthood bestowed on the person.

9 Likes

Geez, he’s a regular Guy Ritchie villain, ain’t he?

11 Likes

Yes this is strange. Very few cricketers have been knighted and somebody as controversial as Boycott never. (I.T.Botham was an exception due to his charity work).
His comments about West Indians is also misleading as many of the Knighthoods are “Order of Barbados” or from the Antigua government.
He wasn’t even a great batsman unless you value boringly slow scoring.
Oh and he’s a Yorkshireman.

3 Likes

I am not the marrying kind".

Truer words have never been spoken.

6 Likes

Well she is old and I bet her fine motor skills aren’t what they were, and the jugular is right there…

6 Likes

I dunno, I find Bricktop had a ruthless charm about him…

3 Likes

I agree completely. It’s a process that is long overdue

4 Likes
15 Likes

True - what I meant was that sometimes a bad person makes up for it with great art (James Brown) or noble, charitable work (Jimmy Saville raised millions for hospitals, although I don’t think that offset his crimes).
As far as I know, Geoff Boycott never did anything for anyone other than himself, and maybe the Yorkshire Cricket Club

I think that the evidence show that he only did his charitable work so he had access to victims, which would put it back to doing something for only himself.

10 Likes

Take him at his word. Before giving him the knighthood, hand him the shoe polish.

(Wait, if this is the can of Shinola, what did I hand him?)

7 Likes

Actually, I think the Queen could do that with impunity. It wouldn’t look good, mind. And it might stain her hat and dress. But other than that, there’s fuck all anything anyone could do to her.

2 Likes

From The Jerk:
“You know what this is, boy?”
“That there’s shinola.”
“Do you know what thi is, boy?”
Why… that’s shit"
“Yer gonna do jes’ fine son, jes’ fine!”

4 Likes

Sweet. He’s a knight. So the Queen can send him off to die in some crusade now, right?

2 Likes
5 Likes