If you want a pill to work faster, lay down on your right side

Originally published at: If you want a pill to work faster, lay down on your right side | Boing Boing

5 Likes

So, any experimental data? Most peoples’ stomachs aren’t simulations.

Or maybe I should ask how complex or thorough the simulation was.

5 Likes

Here’s some anecdata that might help some people with IBS. If you are have a gassy episode and can’t pass the gas, lie down on your right side for 10-30 seconds, to allow the gas to rise to the left side, then roll over onto your left side, which allows the gas to more easily ahem escape the body, reliving pressure. Repeat as needed.

14 Likes

If you have chronic heartburn sleep on your left to ease the pain. If you want your meds to work faster sleep on your right. Decisions, decisions.

8 Likes

Depends a lot on the type of pill, too. I suspect it doesn’t make a damn bit of difference with time release medication. Other types of medications can enter your system the fastest by letting them dissolve under your tongue, bypassing the stomach altogether.

2 Likes

I do find I get more acid reflux if I l’m on my right side.

4 Likes

It only works for spherical stomachs in a vacuum.

8 Likes

I thought pills to make you work faster went off the market by the 90s.

7 Likes

My partner used to coat my meds in peanut butter, but I would just lick off the peanut butter and spit out the pill.

Now he’s getting more clever:

5 Likes

What if I want a pill to work smarter?

11 Likes

Seems like it might work. Some pills are designed for slow release, so this may not be a good thing

Have you ever done the Epley or Brant-Daroff exercises? I was given them when I had losses of balance when I got up out of bed. Just lying down for a bit, then sitting up for a bit in a particular way. This encourages any bits of stuff in your vestibular canals to go where they don’t do any harm. No pills, no surgery, no need for the exercises once it’s fixed. Using gravity to help fix your insides does work sometimes.

3 Likes

Oh my gosh, thank you. I will try that next time.

3 Likes

I’m going to lay down this bottle of pills and lie down now.

4 Likes

Frictionless spherical stomachs in a vaccuum is the name of my punk band.

ETA:
I suspect the variable rates of pill digestion will be used in some spy or crime story, whereby the hero delays the effect of the poison/drug by doing something heroic while lying on their left side.

2 Likes

growing up a dumb teenage hick in BF Texass, it was widely known that if you chug a warm beer, then jump up and down for 2-3 minutes, you would get drunk spew faster.

yeah, i’m a bit skeptical about this pill hack…

1 Like

it’s also worth mentioning that there are some medications warning “don’t lie down after taking this.” turns out that’s important.

some drugs have the potential to burn holes in your esophagus if they don’t fully make it to your stomach.

( having been there, cannot recommend )

4 Likes

LIE
Laying is for hens

You’re welcome! A lot of people who have IBS report that it’s better in the morning, and gets worse as the day goes on, and I think it must be because it may be that things don’t quite move as they should when standing or sitting, and a prone position is more likely to get things moving along.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.