A quick lesson on the best way to give a cat a pill (can it really be this easy?)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/26/a-quick-lesson-on-the-best-way.html

5 Likes

The only cat I didn’t give medicine this way was a freak. She’d slurp the pill from the palm of your hand and swallow. Freak.

8 Likes

How many people died trying to make these videos?

46 Likes

Also, how many thumbs were lost?

9 Likes

Did they edit out the parts where the cat claws the skin off your hands and forearms while you try to open it’s mouth?

12 Likes

Moggie#1: shred your limbs to shreds rather than let a pill get within a yard of its mouth (“well that’s just the result of being a bad pet-owner, that is!”) Moggie#2: takes the pill like a champ - tranquility the whole way; only to discover weeks later the cache of all the hacked up pills way under the couch (“well that’s just the result of being a bad house-keeper, that is!”)

8 Likes

Yeah, I don’t buy this one bit.

6 Likes

I look forward to your other informative videos, such as “How To Disarm Bombs Safely in Your Own Home” and “Shouting Racial Slurs in Ghettos For Fun and Profit”.

19 Likes

Easy, tell the cat “do not eat” and leave on kitchen counter.

17 Likes

20 Likes

The first video, “Just wrap the cat in a towel”. That task on its own can be daunting. The second video that one cat looked like he didn’t know what was going on. I just give my cats heroin, then, when they’re not looking, ‘doink’! give 'em the pill. They don’t know what just happened.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s how you do it. I mean, some cats are calmer than others, and it’s easier to pill a calm cat, but that’s how you do it either way.

Unless the pill is something relatively mild tasting - then you can crush it up and mix it with a little canned food, and let the cat pill itself.

1 Like

Two words; pill gun. It allows you to put the pill far enough back that they have to swallow it, and keeps the administering fingers away from the slicing back teeth,

8 Likes

i’ve had to give many pills to cats, and this video is exactly right. wrapping in a towel (we call it “burrito-ing”) helps keep the claws under control. but really if you approach the cat calmly and are quick about it, this way totally works. our vet also said that you can gently but firmly hold the kitty’s mouth shut and stroke its throat, and that encourages the swallowing of the pill, too.

one other thing i’ve learned is to ask if the pill can be made into something that can be squirted into the cat’s mouth. sometimes taking it as a liquid is easier than dealing with a pill.

7 Likes

27 Likes

Greenie’s Pill Pockets were an fsm send for my old cat. As soon as she heard a pill bottle she went into a hissing, clawing furball of doom but show her it in a pill pocket and she would she munch it up. They are like cittycrack or something.

5 Likes

I had to shove 5mg of diazepam down the throat of what could be charitably described as a “dangerous” cat twice a day for his entire life. I can attest that forcing his mouth open with one hand above the head and, with the other hand, sticking the pill as far back in his mouth as you can mostly works. You just have to want it more than he does not want it.

Besides being a nervous wreck and a stone killer, he was also smart AF. I had to open his mouth a second time and make sure the pill went down, or he would just cheek it and spit it out later when no one was looking.

13 Likes

Someone has been following the career of Rex Kramer, Danger Seeker!

2 Likes

One of these seems to be appropriate for the task

1 Like

C’mon! That cat’s gonna puke that thing back up in just a couple minutes.

4 Likes