This is how your cat wants to be picked up

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/28/this-is-how-your-cat-wants-to.html

9 Likes

Between this charming fellow and his charming cats (look at that face!), and the cats in aquarium themed hats, my day is off to a great start!

12 Likes

‘Shoulder cat’ is sometimes the only comfortable way to carry a heavy cat. I would get serious arm strain when trying to carry my nearly 20 pound tabby boy around any other way.

6 Likes

This guy hasn’t met my friends bi-polar Calico…

12 Likes

I always assumed it uncomfortable for cats to be held by their abdomen, just like it’s uncomfortable for people. When I pick my cats up, I support the back half of their bodies by scooping up their butt/hind legs. Those are load-bearing, while their abdomens are not.

19 Likes

Some kitties just don’t like to be picked up period. My current fella hates being held off the ground and will squirm until released no matter how I pick him up while my last guy I could carry him around all day like a ragdoll.

Like people, pets have wildly different personalities, anxieties, peccadilloes, etc.

14 Likes

I thought this was going to be another riff on the ol’ “deactivate cat” bit.

14 Likes

That looks painful. Is there a bundle of nerves back there, or something?

5 Likes

“Squishing is your best friend when dealing with a cat…”

Also with me, oddly enough.

10 Likes

Yes; it’s how mama-cats carry their kittens.

15 Likes

It actually works really well - this is where their mom picked them up (with her teeth!) when they were kittens. It’s how I pick up my ten pound cat and he never struggles - I do support him once I’ve picked him up though.

4 Likes

Aren’t peccadilloes on the Endangered Animals List? I though it was illegal to keep them as pets.

Only Mama-cats with access to a well stocked Stationery Cupboard. Other’s have to use their mouths.

17 Likes

Pedant!

:wink:

4 Likes

The cats he is handling are easy-going and they’re not going to do you harm even if you’re handling them the wrong way. But I have volunteered at an animal shelter, and some of their cats are not nearly as nice. They might be scared, or not used to being handled. If needed you can wrap them in a towel and then it’s extra hard to get the claws or teeth on you. And I have learned from experience to keep all the pointy bits pointed away from your body and especially your face. But you have to use your judgement, too. Don’t rush it, and if it seems actually aggressive, like coming forward towards you and growling, that’s not a cat you want to handle at all. I leave those to the professionals.

14 Likes

My cat Lloyd lets me do whatever the hell I want with him. He’s weird. He stares at walls for hours on end. He is utterly unconcerned.

21 Likes

I watched through to the end expecting a twist wherein a cat mauls someone and savages their face or leaps around causing some Rube Goldberg style comedic chain reaction. Sadly this did not happen. I feel duped.

5 Likes

Front paws on the shoulder works well for my big kitty, but the little (well, smaller than the 23# kitty) and more active cat turns that in to “cat on your back” pretty quickly.

3 Likes

Mine does front paws too. The other ones refuse to do the shoulder thing

1 Like

My partner LOVES to squish our cats (and they love it too)… finding out that the practice is vet approved means this is all she’s ever going to do now. :wink:

14 Likes
16 Likes