This is how your cat wants to be picked up

No nerves. Just a handy cat-handle.

2 Likes

You should never pick up an adult cat by the scruff. This should only be done by mama’s to their kittens.

9 Likes

Counterpoint: I’m a cat. So it’s okay.

5 Likes

The big clips like that don’t hurt. Try it on your arm. The small pinch but not bad but the inbetween size hurts like mofo.

5 Likes

Whereas I read the headline and expected pick-up lines aimed at cats, for trying to get them to come home with you, or agree to come on a date.

ETA … which means, it almost goes without saying, that I feel duped, too.

4 Likes

A couple of years ago here I linked this short video about how to give a cat a pill by yourself, without needing another person’s assistance or props or putting it in food. The method shown has an element of squishing the cat.

I found it worked amazingly well. The trick is opening their mouth using one of your hands positioned behind their head, AND using that same arm to press down on their back at the same time.

6 Likes

I dunno. My brother squished a kitten by mistake when we were kids and it was traumatic for everyone involved.

3 Likes

When they’re kittens, it basically sends them into a helpless little trance- I remember picking up a few of our cats by the scruff when they were very young, and their eyes would glaze over and they seemed completely unaware of what was happening. When released, they sort of blinked and looked around like “how did I get here?” I’m surprised to see it working on an adult cat. I’ve tried grabbing adult cats by the scruff (not to pick them up, mind you, as that’s very dangerous- just to see if holding them firmly there does anything) and they don’t seem to react at all.

4 Likes

This fellow offers very, um, interesting advise on how to pet a cat:

2 Likes

Oh, dear. Sorry to hear that.

1 Like

I’m jut getting used to BB posting some semi serious or normative headline and then BAM it’s a “waiiiiit for itttttt” video.

I feel catfished by B.B.!!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is how your cat wants to be picked up

Alternate title:

How to grab pussy the RIGHT way

16 Likes

I’ve seen cat show people using the football hold, but with the cat body upright.

1 Like

How your cat wants to be picked up:

10 Likes

Man, I’ve been doing it all wrong. . . .

7 Likes

It’s supposed to be funny, but…at what point do the police show up, exactly, to let kids know that non-consensual sexual activity is a crime?

6 Likes

I know, right?!? I found it on a spoof news site with a “funny” report about how Pepe le Pew’s groping and unwanted touching had been an open secret at the studios and now people were getting called on it. Seeing it reminded me of all that I saw growing up that helped to normalize the behavior we are now calling out. Revenge of the Nerds, anyone?
Since this is the internet, just so it’s clear - I’m really glad we are calling this shit out now.
This was a response to a poster who misinterpreted the title as being about “picking up” cats, not picking up cats, which I found to be quite a funny misinterpretation.

11 Likes

I was surprised that the narrator did not seem to know he was repeatedly triggering that spot as part of what he was doing. Especially since he was calming a frightened female; that is not just the spot where mama cats pick up kittens, it’s also the spot where toms bite and hold during mating.

Rule one of picking up any cat that you aren’t already friendly with: don’t wear the clothes this guy is wearing!

3 Likes

just don’t get caught on tape bragging about it . . .

2 Likes

Ah, c’mon. In context of the cartoon, it is very, very obvious to the viewer that the cat is really, really not comfortable or happy with this approach. It’s almost like a training film on sensitivity.

Training Film 207: “How NOT to initiate courtship”

2 Likes