Is it healthier to sleep on your left side or your right side?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/26/is-it-healthier-to-sleep-on-your-left-side-or-your-right-side.html

8 Likes

I sleep on my outside

32 Likes

That’s why Batman is grumpy.

18 Likes

I had no idea Lifehacker was still a thing. I feel like I haven’t heard the name in like, six years.

I didn’t click the link, but I’m wondering how many of the articles are now written by AI.

8 Likes

Depends on which side the edge of the blanket is on. If you’re a sleep farter, one side could be safely vented while the other side just turns it into a dutch oven. The disposition of your partner is also a factor. :smiley:

14 Likes

So if you have both GERD and sleep apnea, perhaps a rotisserie-type bed is right for you.

31 Likes
15 Likes

24 Likes

If you have GERD, or regularly suffer from heartburn or bad post-nasal-drip, please get yourself a sleep wedge. Buy one that’s long enough to go from just above your waist but still support your head. This will totally change your life for the better.

12 Likes

14 Likes

The other workaround I’ve heard is having the head of your bed on concrete blocks. I don’t know if there’s any advantage, except perhaps cost, but it might be less stable than a wedge.

4 Likes

When I was a kid I had heard sleeping on your right was better for your heart so I did exclusively, but my nose points to one side and I am convinced it was from not changing it up as my bones were forming. It’s not freakish but I kind of always look like I’m at an angle.

8 Likes

I always fall asleep flat on my back because I’m wearing big headphones while watching something on my computer. Then I wake up, take the headphones off, close the MacBook and turn on my right side. Then I wake up from the alarm on my iPhone, hit the snooze and turn on my left side. Then I hit the snooze about seven more times, still on my left side because the goddam sun is blasting in from the right. Then I drag myself up and make a quadruple espresso and start my fucking day.

So I think I’m the healthiest sleeper.

35 Likes

“Ass towards the Sun.” -Wise sleeping positions in history.

5 Likes

The nice thing about the wedge is that you can easily change it out, it gives any sleep partners flexibility, and it doesn’t stress your bed frame. Mine cost less than $20 on Amazon, although it’s not great. Better ones cost $30-ish.

6 Likes

My doc suggested raising the head of our bed, but evidently it needs to be raised 6" (15 cm) or more to be effective. The wedge cushion sounds much more practical

6 Likes

Is that why I am the way I am?

4 Likes

ron-popeil-set-it-and-forget-it

9 Likes

Anyway, back on topic:

cb48c077-0d21-4da2-9bb2-7056dc2ccb55_text

16 Likes

I will set it, Ron Popeil, but I will never forget you.

A consummate pitchman and an indelible part of infomercial culture.

6 Likes