If you want to have a nightmare later, watch this video of Ondine the swimming doll

Originally published at: If you want to have a nightmare later, watch this video of Ondine the swimming doll | Boing Boing

1 Like

Oh, I know that swimming stroke, it’s called the “froggy paddle.”

1 Like

Well not a starring role, but here you go:

1 Like

Congenital central hypoventilation syndrome (CCHS), also known as “Ondine’s curse,” is a rare neurological disorder characterized by inadequate breathing during sleep and in more severely affected individuals, during waking periods as well. This disorder is associated with a malfunction of the nerves that control involuntary body functions and abnormal development of early embryonic cells that form the spinal cord.

Congenital Central Hypoventilation Syndrome | Johns Hopkins Medicine

This is the only Ondine I know of. I think it may be less horrifying than the one in the article.

7 Likes

I see what you mean.

4 Likes

Isn’t Ondine a water nymph from mythology?

6 Likes

Apparently.

The nymph Ondine was an immortal water spirit who became human after falling in love for a man, marrying him, and having a baby. In one of the versions of the tale, when she caught her husband sleeping with another woman, she cursed him to remain awake in order to control his own breathing .

So, yeah, don’t screw around on a water nymph.

7 Likes

I see your creepy scene and raise you a creepier scene.

This one freaked me out a bit.

3 Likes

Holy fudge, that’s a nightmare and a half!

These days, with instant playback, it is difficult to remember how much more creepy things like this used to be. :astonished:

3 Likes

And i raise you sir any silicone baby doll in the water video; example:

2 Likes

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

1 Like

My Eyes Omg GIF by shremps

2 Likes

OK, so sometimes when the princess kisses the frog, he is still a frog, and does not become a handsome prince.

Should the princess continue with this unholy union, Ondine may be the resulting progeny.

Ondine, the Swimming Doll. The one toy you don’t give to a child in the hospital… CCHS patient or not.

1 Like

cd26b50da88a9c4a7ba313fff261183c

1 Like

So Ondine turned him from an involuntary breather into a voluntary breather like a dolphin.
(It’s no surprise water nymphs are well versed in marine biology.)

2 Likes

“She floats and swims by using her bizarrely proportioned libs to propel her forward in the water.”

tenor

3 Likes

Ondine is a quite attractive script, though overused for “Eastern Promise”

4 Likes

The limbs don’t really freak me out, it’s the way her head sticks straight up out of her body like a submarine’s periscope.

2 Likes

I was disturbed but kept watching to see how terrible it was…never again.

2 Likes