If you write "hahaha" you are "probably old"

6 Likes

If you write jajajaja you are probably old and Spanish speaking.

7 Likes

1 Like

My daughter is 22 and types “hahaha”. So there. My 25 year old does “kek kek”, but I always assumed that was something he picked up when living in Korea. My 20 year old son doesn’t even type out laughter.

Personally I like “hyuckahyucka”. It’s a lot of letters for very little expression.

3 Likes

You could be a fan of Flipper or Ultravox…

which means you’re probably old.

3 Likes

2 Likes

How does the fox laugh?

1 Like

I couldn’t find a gif with any of the Ultravox quotes, so a Duran Duran reference will have to suffice:

6 Likes

Now my hoy-hoy just seems positively prehistoric.

Do add Muttley to the mix of distinctive laughs tho.

6 Likes

If you’re citing a cartoon from the 70’s about distinctive laughs, you are “probably old.”

2 Likes

I’m not sure lack thereof qualifies as style. Glad I don’t cling to my twelve year old sex life also. Though my partner was devine ; 0

1 Like

I would never be able to stay up to date with all the gnarly young “dudes” and their “street rap” if not for the New Yorker.

9 Likes

You cut me to the quick child. Just why such trivia sticks in my mind is a mystery. Even that there was yet another character with a similar wheezy laugh (Griswold the dog in Topcat).

As Austin O’Malley famously said, “Memory is a crazy woman that hoards colored rags and throws away food.”

5 Likes

I find that skipping straight to Blearrrgghhh precludes any further discussion.

2 Likes

hay north americans. the correct answer is:
哈哈
kekeke
jajaja

depending

3 Likes

You might want to reëvaluate your position on that.

##HERETIC

3 Likes

horkhorkhorkhork

2 Likes

Granted, I’m an old, so my opinion is no longer demographically sought after, but as far as my understanding of words and onomatopoeic phraseology goes, I always used “hahahaha” as an open mouthed laugh, often at someone’s expense, while “hehehehe” is a narrow-mouthed laugh for use when you have just gotten away with something, or have laid a trap for someone, etc etc. There are a million other variations on these, but to me spelling implies usage. Like “hard-de-har-har” usually connotes sarcasm. But then I remember we’re talking about the youngs, and that they care not at all for our dusty rules of language, be they embedded in the bedrock of formal education, or colloquially generated and ascend to the status of common cultural usage.

Godamn little bastards.

-hugs thesaurus and weeps himself gently to sleep-

8 Likes

“Hahaha” is so LOL, while “hehehe” rather suggests LQTM.

2 Likes

Yeah, but when I see “LOL” my hands instinctively form themselves into fists. And “LQTM” just sounds like an acronym for a really amazing kind of meditation I’ve never heard of.

3 Likes