If your dog only wants human food, try this hilarious trick

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/07/if-your-dog-only-wants-human-f.html

7 Likes

If the human really did “augment” the dog food, the dog would have still been chowing it down, and not looking up.

I think the dog knows it is a ruse, and is just humoring the human, and looks up to see the human’s reaction.

24 Likes

That would never work with a cat.

Just saying.

14 Likes

I’ve seen a version of this but it was someone heating up the dog food in the microwave, then the dog was psyched to eat. Also seen versions of people pretending to cook the kibble on the stove.

Found it:

15 Likes

Damn, I can’t find a clip of the dog food scene in Down and out in Beverly Hills, just the one with the dog therapist.

8 Likes

I came here hoping that the hilarious trick was to put dog food on the table and have the humans eat it.

14 Likes

It helps if you pretend to be a waiter.

13 Likes

Mi girlfriend’s dog, a lovely Labrador, gets tricked by stirring the dry feed with a spoon (a proper one, not the tea one, the dog is not that gullible).
Of course, additional audio input is a go to if you want him happy: “Oi oi oi, qué rico!”

8 Likes

Our cats have a routine; Junior gets only about half of what Zorro does, because he eats slower and Zorro, who is a chonkin’ girl, will come over and hoover up anything he hasn’t eaten by the time she’s done. After a few minutes (and Zorro leaves), Junior will meow at me and I will put down another tablespoon of gooshyfood just for him.

9 Likes
4 Likes

My little schnauzer is 15 y/o and has little appetite. She can’t have people food, which she craves, due to pancreas problems. At meal time, I put her bowl of food next to my dinner plate, clink my fork on it a few times and then put “my” food down for her to eat. She’s so happy and licks the bowl clean.

5 Likes

i actually do this with our cats, not because they are finicky, but because it amuses me. i make a huge fuss about what flavor they are getting, sometimes making up a song about it, really overselling it. they get excited because of MY excited tone. sometimes they still sniff it and walk away for awhile, but usually they are into it by then.

6 Likes

Well, yeah. Because dogs can’t look up.

6 Likes

Do you think this would work with my kids?

6 Likes

Fuck, no. Not more than once, at the most.

4 Likes

I’m confused. A dog would rather starve than eat dog food? I’ve never heard of that. If it were my dog it would get nothing until that food was gone. Of course I’d never feed any of my dogs human food anyway. I care too much about them.

3 Likes

That trick works on me, too.

2 Likes

It can happen, if they get spoiled by too much people food, too often. It can also happen if the dog is truly in distress. My poor old Sheba had a couple of severe arthritis flares earlier this year, and she refused to eat anything, even the boiled chicken or hamburger the vet suggested (mixed with rice or veggies for fiber.) The vet gave me an appetite enhancer (a synthetic hunger hormone) for her, which helped until the medications kicked in and she started feeling better. Regular meds have helped a lot, but Sheba still has days where she gets finicky. (She eats eventually, but it still bugs me.)

6 Likes

Matisse!

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s the one I found, but not the one I was looking for.

3 Likes