Ignore feature bug reports

To be clear, if you want to suggest new features this isn’t the place to do so. You want to do that here:

I’m specifically looking for bug reports about the existing feature, and I’m going to remove comments that aren’t about that topic specifically. As with any topic, you are welcome to open your own if you wish to discuss some other aspect of this feature or moderation (but again, we don’t write the software, so feature requests belong on the link above!)

Thanks.

7 Likes

Can you elaborate on that? Do you mean there’s an issue with an ad-blocker blocking cookies that breaks ignore, or something else?

4 Likes

I’m not sure; I do use an ad blocker, or two. Maybe that has something to do with it.

What I do know is that half the time I can still see certain users’ comments when I shouldn’t be able to, based upon the feature settings I’ve selected.

Which kind of negates the whole point of the feature… which was, at best, only a band-aid on the actual problem in the first place.

We can’t moderate people’s intentions but we could afford site members some agency over whom they allow to engage them, if TPTB chose to do so.

5 Likes

Can we get the off-topics maybe put into a new thread, maybe?

8 Likes

I too, have seen this a couple of times recently - in one case, I noted above (seeing a comment until a refreshed the page). Just today I saw one in a reply line from another poster. These have only cropped up once or twice, though, for whatever it’s worth.

4 Likes

Sure, I moved the discussion into the “fair and balanced” topic, which seemed appropriate.

10 Likes

As always, thank you for your service! :wink:

6 Likes

Fair enough. A title change to “Seeking bug reports for ignore feature” might help set the tone. Sorry to have posted off topic.

8 Likes

Fair - I’ve gone ahead and done that. Sorry for the confusion.

6 Likes

Still seeing Ignored people when they post prior to refreshing the thread.

6 Likes

Me too. It’s not often, just now and again, though.

6 Likes

So, by seeing them, do you mean the post shows up like a normal post and stays that way, or that it shows up, but then is hidden?

I’ll relay this to the support team so they can investigate - if you can share info about your setup (OS, browser, extensions you think might matter), I’d appreciate it - PM is fine. The more detail the better the chance of finding the culprit!

3 Likes

It shows up and then doesn’t get hidden until I manually refresh the whole page or exit the thread and return.

With fast posters, this can result in a few posts.

5 Likes

In the instances I’ve seen it, it shows up, then goes away with a refresh of the page.

I’m on red hat (I’m unsure which version), firefox, and have ad block plus.

4 Likes

If someone has ignored you (at least I think that’s what’s happening) you can’t un-like a comment. Maybe the ignoring happened after the like but before the unlike?

Likes can’t be removed after a set number of minutes - not specific to ignore.

9 Likes

Can you clarify when you are seeing this? Is it multiple sequential posts arriving in real time at the bottom of the topic, while you are in the topic? Are you composing a reply when this happens or just idling in the topic?

2 Likes

Not very often. From the time I post that, I’ve only had it happen again once (yesterday). In this case, it was the very last reply in the thread at the time, and it was just fully there. It went away when I refreshed. I had just finished scrolling down to the bottom on the page…

Hope that helps.

4 Likes

Maybe it was a timing issue and you scrolled down just as the reply arrived? :thinking:

Was it a rapid reply that coincided with the scroll-down, e.g. posted in the last few seconds?

3 Likes

Could be the case… I don’t remember the exact amount of time it was posted, but I don’t think it was that long? If I see it again, I’ll endeavor to check on that.

If it starts happening more often, I will certainly let you know.

4 Likes