I'll just drive my car off this tow truck, what could go wrong?

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/21/ill-just-drive-my-car-off-th.html

5 Likes

Didn’t look like a beemer…

10 Likes

Didn’t quite work like it did in GTA5.

19 Likes

It’s not like the tow truck driver would have written down his license plate before starting the tow! \s

…i’m guessing this guy doesn’t think out the consequences of making poor choices.

21 Likes

I guess I was hoping that the sudden, 3 foot drop would do serious damage, that would cost more to repair than paying the ticket.( or what was owed to the bank.

Question, are “tow” trucks like this that lift the car up by the wheels onto the flatbed common in the UK? In the US flatbed haulers usually tilt the back down and then pull the car up onto the back. Which doesn’t work well in tight parallel parking.

6 Likes

How does he not get arrested?!

8 Likes

I dunno man, in GTA 5 I was always getting wedged on/between concrete barriers…

3 Likes

So wait, that was Brexit? :confused:

41 Likes

They chain those cars down. He’s lucky he didn’t lose his front end. Or maybe it doesn’t matter to him any more.

2 Likes

I’ve seen a few videos where the guy gets his car off this way. One guy was recorded getting it off two separate times.

So apparently it works.

Not sure if I’d do it with a car that I care about though.

That said, I have been so angry at someone trying to tow a vehicle that I’ve done stupid things. Had an office where I parked my motorcycle under the vestibule OFF OF CITY PROPERTY (i.e., actually under the physical portion of the building) and they actually tried craning it over the railing to tow it away. Found out the hard way you should NOT grab an officer by the shoulder when he refuses to speak to you when he knows he is in the wrong.

Sometimes these motherfuckers get you to where you can’t think straight.

15 Likes

Gonna have to call a different tow truck

1 Like

More common than the tiltbed type for parking enforcement. Breakdown types are tiltbeds or dollies mounted on a van. Outside of the major cities it’s very uncommon to be towed away for parking offences, it’s usually handled by ticketing.

2 Likes

Of course in the US, “Tow away zones” are usually enforced by privateers rather than local government employees.

6 Likes

I’m far more surprised by the steadicam footage.

6 Likes

Harness Racing - You’re doing it wrong.

Just a little Traveler joke.

3 Likes

He was in a hurry to get to the ice rink where he works as the Zamboni driver.

1 Like

13 Likes

That drop is the fastest a Zamboni has ever traveled.

5 Likes

He didn’t get arrested cause he’s tRumps new secretary of transportation…and he did not try to drive that car off the truck! That’s just rigged to look like he did

2 Likes

actually, i am totally surprised. how in the world did that not end up in fisticuffs?

4 Likes